• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Fellow Aviators,

Is anyone using an Electronic (Jeppesen?) device to display approach plates, etc?

If so, what are the operating characteristics? (are updates easy, does it offer good visibility, easy to carry, what are the operating costs, etc)

Thanks.:D

I think this is a good question for JetBlue pilots, but I have heard a CD-Rom is the only thing you need for updates.

I read a Boeing magazine that had an article about EFB's and how they will be putting them in their upcoming models as part of the glass setup. Looks pretty neat.

Hi!

Flight Options uses an Elec. FLight Bag, but I'm not sure what hardware U use.

I talked to Jepps a week or so ago a little on this topic. They said the upgrade is a CD every two weeks. Just pop it in, and you're about done. Jepps charges a lot less for the digital service (vs. paper).

Cliff
LRD

Boeing Receives FAA Approval for Jeppesen EFB on 777
SEATTLE, Oct. 27, 2003 -- The U. S. Federal Aviation Administration has approved new Boeing [NYSE:BA] flight deck technology that will lower pilot workload and reduce flight delays by giving pilots better access to critical information.

The FAA action allows Boeing to install the Class 3 version of the Jeppesen Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) on the Boeing 777. This is the first time a fully integrated Class 3 EFB has been approved for commercial service. In addition, the European Joint Airworthiness Authorities (JAA) have agreed to accept the FAA authorization as certification for the nations under its purview.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines took delivery of the first 777 equipped with a Class 3, certified EFB. All 10 of the 777-200ERs KLM has ordered will have EFB on board.

"This is a vital milestone in our effort to e-enable the air transport system," said Ray Marzullo, Boeing vice president, Flight Services. "The EFB will bring airlines significant gains in efficiency and situational awareness through the strategic application and integration of data."

The EFB transforms into digital format all the printed material pilots use to fly, including navigational charts, flight manuals and logbooks. It also offers:

An airport moving map feature that precisely displays the airplane's position on an airport tarmac.

A performance calculator that allows the pilot to instantly calculate ideal speeds and engine settings, taking into account any weather, runway, and payload. Such instant calculations could help KLM carry as much as 9,000 kg (20,000 lbs.) extra on a flight. A similar function to support landing calculations also is included.

A viewer for cabin surveillance systems that helps meet new and anticipated regulatory requirements. The first unit with cabin surveillance will be delivered in March 2004; units delivered earlier will be retrofitted.

Boeing's Crew Information Services integrated, certified and installed the EFB systems, using Jeppesen software and Astronautics Corp. of America hardware.

The FAA certification represents the agency's first ever approval under Advisory Circular 120-76A of a fully integrated, Class 3 EFB for commercial service.

KLM T7 Captain I know told me its the greatest advance in cockpit management that he has seen in 25 years in the industry.

My Take

As a user of EFB's I must say they are great! As far as updating is concerned, here at Flight Options we carry 2 EFB's in each aircraft. To update them you connect the external CDROM to the EFB via the PCMIA card, put the disk in the CDROM, hit a button and you are done!

The only downside to the EFB's that we use is in really bright sunlight, you may have to shade the unit to get a good view.

In addition to the Jepp software, we also use UltraNav for performance information. All of our pubs like GOM, GMM, Ops Specs, etc. are all in electronic form on the EFB's.

At jetBlue, inspite of all the hype, we are not using electronic jepps. It has definately been looked into with our laptops and all, but there has been some concern (FAA) with having the plates out and accessible while flying the approach. If we leave the tray table out with computer open, we can't see the panel.

There is much talk about other alternatives... screens in the tray table, different electronic devices to show the jepps etc. All pretty much back burner for now as I understand.

No paper A/C manuals though. That is nice!!!

Latest resources

Back