Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Electromagnetic Pulse effect on Fly By Wire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two questions:

Do the electronic devices have to be powered at the time, or would all electronics be fried?

Would older cars (without computers) be imune/relatively safe - not that you could get much gas for them?

Now you guys did it......

Another apocalyptic subject for Jetflyer to use and create 8-page threads with lots of bold and multi-colored text. ;)

(Easy Jetflyer, it's a joke)

Last edited:
hawk16e said:
Two questions:

Do the electronic devices have to be powered at the time, or would all electronics be fried?

Would older cars (without computers) be imune/relatively safe - not that you could get much gas for them?

As a former electrical engineer... it depends. Likely to be fried if close to the pulse and badly shielded. Modern low-voltage integrated circuits likely to fair poorly... an electromagnetic pulse induces a current in all unshielded circuits, whether energized or not.

Older cars without computers should be fine. But we're talking early 80's. Everything else is computerized to some degree. My 1992 Mazda pickup is carburated but still features a computer to control the emissions systems. Probably wouldn't run without it. Anything with electronic fuel injection is most likely toast.

I fly a turboprop powered by PT121's. It would still fly on the mechanical HMU fuel supply and mechanical flight controls. Small consolation for my small paycheck...

Latest resources

Back