Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawker1

"Great Balls of Fire"
I know this could quite possibly be the dumbest question to ever be posted on flightinfo, but I have no shame in asking. I got this electric razor (http://www.remington-products.com/usa/products/mshavers/r950.html) for Christmas, and I've used it twice. I asked for it in hopes of making shaving a little faster, and for the most part I would like to use it at OCS. The two times I've used it it has taken twice as long as it would if I were to use a regular razor.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything that I need to know about this, because obviously it's not like on the commercial where your skin is silky smooth. I have trouble getting the stubble underneath my chin and that area. Any suggestions as to what to do? Basically, I just need some pointers, if you will, on what to do with this thing.

the best electrics are still worse than some of the cheapest "wet" razors
it's just a nature of the beast, I tried it myself once too, didn't really work well
but then again, I usually get the 5 o'clock shadow by 11AM

I've always used electric razors, never even touched a wet one. I have a different model of remington and like it a lot. its really handy when I'm on the go and does a good job pretty fast. Maybe itd be worth trying a different model?

I've been using a triple screen Remington for a couple of years now and am still getting the hang of it. Five things I figured out:

1) It doesn't work too well on more than 2 days' growth (though the trimmer feature helps in that regard)
2) don't press down onto your skin. Just let it touch the surface.
3) move in circles, even with a screen razor. your hairs grow in all different directions and you can only get them going against the grain.
4) it works best when your skin is dry, but burns like Hades. It's less effective just after a shower, bust doesn't hurt at all.
5) if you're in a hurry, use a traditional razor.

Yes, that was the dumbest question ever on flightinfo, but you still got answers. How 'bout that?

I've been using electric for 3 years now (with the same head design of yours). I still have the same problem you do but I find that moving the skin around on my face helps get those hard to reach places. I think that a wet razor will always be superior to electric but nothing beats the convenience and speed of electric. Once you get it figured out you will be able to get pretty close to silky smooth, give it a couple weeks.

The key to getting a good electric shave is to use a pre-electric shave lotion. It helps sooth the skin while shaving. Only a few out there, I like gillette pre-shave. The braun synchro is the best electric razor i have used.

I recent bouht one of the Norelco-wet-electric razors... the ones with the "stuff' coming out of it.

I second the writer that said to just lightly push the razor on the skin, and it works better with shorter hairs than longer hairs.

Maybe yours has a little setting for "closeness" so that you can adjust the distance from the blades to the shavehead. ad maybe that is set too long so that you can't get a good shave.

Another imporatnt point: it takes your skin 30 days to get adjusted to another form of shaving. So you have to give it sme time.

I am using a Norelco as well for over 2 years now. It is the dry one but it took my face 30-40 days to get used to it. Best results for me before shower when the hair is dry and rigid. This is quite the opposite for a regular razor when it is better if the hair is wet and soft, thus best after a warm shower. Another reason for not getting any kind of face wash or shower before shaving with the electric is that this way your face still has a layer of fat on it which acts as a lubricant and reduces friction between your face and the metal, which helps avoiding the red face and neck effect. Unfortunately my observation is also that the electric is nowhere near as perfect as the original wet razor foam combo and it does take about twice the time mainly because I always seem to chase those few rebellion single hairs for like 2 min each.

Electric shavers

I've used electrics for sixteen years, with only a brief hiatus when I tried blades again. It was suggested to me after a colleague noticed how scraped-up blades left my skin. I first used Norelcos for several years and then tried a Panasonic wet-dry. It was in its death throes, so I recently purchased a Panasonic Pro-Curve wet-dry. I get a great shave from it, both wet with lather in the shower and dry with pre-shave. I recommend this shaver.

I second all the above observations about needing time to get used to the electric. Parts of my skin improved almost immediately when I started with the Norelco but it took a few weeks for the rest of it to adapt. As you shave with it more you'll perfect your technique and learn how firmly you need to press the shaver against your face.

Stay with it. I'd just add that I'm amazed at how much electric shavers have improved over the years.

Last edited:
Two simple things that may help:

1) Plug it in

and

2) Turn it on.

Electric razors only save time when you use them in the car on the way to work.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back