Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJI

Lumber Yak,

I have several friends flying there now and was offered a job with them last year but turned them down for an F500 job. They are a great group of people and run a very impressive operation. You only get invited to interview if you are recommended by someone inside.

My friends there like it but also say its the most demanding job they have ever had... ever. Not sure if they will stay there. A real ball buster, and they have talked about moving on.

They say most of the people are great to fly with but you get the occasional wiener pilot or customer. A year ago upgrades ran 18 months but has now been pushed out from there to more like several years... maybe. Depends on deliveries.

The first year FO GIV pay is pertty pathetic, in the 60's or 70's depending upon your experience. Upgrade puts you into the 80's or 90's. Terrible compensation for a truly international captain. No bonuses.

The schedule is 6 on 5 off which includes travel days and 14 hour duty days while on duty and no calls on your days off.

My friends like the GIV because they do lots of the domestic work but do go to the other side of the planet occasionally. They will probably never get to fly the V. Too many people ahead of them and not enough deliveries.

Compared to NJA? Depends on your personal preferences. NJI pays much better.

A typical trip??? They all say the airlining is the worst part of the job and they all hate it terribly. You can probably plan on two airline days per rotation anywhere in the world unless the trip happens to originate and end in your base town. Trips can go all over the world. Only place they won't send you the first time out is China.

Sorry for the long post, pm me if you need more info.

Good luck

This can be the such a bummer of a board to read, lots of back-stabbing, back-biting...........WOW! I am glad I don't fly with a lot of the pilots with these attitudes. We all have problems, has anyone seen the amount of aircraft (jets and turbo-props) for sale? Has anybody checked the WSJ or checked the economy lately? Lots of folks losing jobs shifting around, looking for work - for those of you that were around in the late 80s, early 90s is this sorta the same? As someone said - "It's feast or famine". If you have a job you are lucky, if you are out of work I hope things work out.

Re: NJI

CL60 said:
Lumber Yak,

My friends there like it but also say its the most demanding job they have ever had... ever. Not sure if they will stay there. A real ball buster, and they have talked about moving on.

The first year FO GIV pay is pertty pathetic, in the 60's or 70's depending upon your experience. Upgrade puts you into the 80's or 90's. Terrible compensation for a truly international captain. No bonuses.

CL60,

Just curious where your friends hope to move? I assume "better" corporate positions, or maybe JetBlue?

Lumber Yak,

I have heard of great corporate jobs out there, but my friends at EJI love it. Then again, the stability (6-On, 5-Off & no calls on off days) make this job a no-brainer for a lot of folks. IF they do ask you to stay out past the sixth day, all three crew members have to agree. If you do accept, you get another day off on when you return. I have three friends there and spoke with several Captains about a year ago in SAV.

They all love it, and never plan to leave. Then again, everything is relative. (My friends are all former USAF heavy drivers use to "chaotic world events".) Great schedule, nice hotels, stability, and "comfortable" pay. Again, it's all relative.

The most important thing: the outstanding relationship with the managment! Southwestish maybe? Good luck getting an interivew...Having two close friends in the company hasn't helped me at all. I think the G-IV or G-V time is very important since 9/11. I think they have 300+ resumes with G-IV or G-V time, so they can afford to be very picky.

Last year, starting pay in the G-IV was $67K (without a type) $72K if you have a G-IV type. I don't think the pay is higher for the G-V, and doubt you can get into it as a FO right now.

Good Luck

Yahtz

NJI

Yahtzee,

One of my NJI friends is happy with the job but, like me, came over from a F500 job. He sorely misses the cushy schedules and lifestyle that comes along with a great F500 job. He had an offer to interview at Jblue but turned them down. He says that he will probably ride it out until he can get on with one of the top fortune departments in the country. Since he is a corporate veteran with many connections, he will have no problems. His biggest gripes at NJI are the airlining and the schedule... in that order.

Another friend likes the lifestyle at NJI and will probably stay unless his perceptions change. He also has a seniority number at a major and has left that option open as well. In a few years, he will have a great salary at the major and be able to leave for the big bucks if he wants. He will not have had to endure the first few years of low pay at the major either.

Some of my friends have also stated that the job is changing from what it was when they first started. They are all starting to take 135 rides now on every training rotation. Some really don't like it and others don't care as long as the paychecks keep coming in.

See you,

Thanks

CL60,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you're in a great place. I've heard another corportate pilot mention the same thing you did...that EJI is nice, but really can't compare to a position within a F500 company. Sounds like you are in a great place.

My friends were C-141, C-5, and KC-135 pilots and EJI gives them a lot more stability.

Yahtz

I have one friend at EJI, GIV Capt, been there about 2 yrs -- retired USAF. He didn't apply anywhere else and claims he never will. He loves everything about it.

I applied pre-911, with his rec and one other, but never got called. I'm sure they much prefer Gulfstream experience (duh).

One bene' I haven't seen mentioned is that EJI pilots are gods among frequent-flier-mile users. It's a nice perk.

Best of luck to Lumber Yak & friend.

Thanks Purple Haze,

I appreciate the encouragement. It is good to have goals - I know I have a looooooooong way to go. Hopefully my friend will get an interview, somehow get hired and I'll actually have a contact there... With your great experience (including the C17 - my favorite military transport aircraft), I am surprised you are not currently flying with EJI.

I have always loved the GIV and GV aircraft. They are so sleek looking on the ramp - they have tremendous "presence." The ability to fly a GIV/V worldwide for a "reasonably" stable operation like EJI is very appealing to me...

For the most part, this posting has been positive - I appreciate that. I do want to apolegize for "defensive" statements made to LA Confidential and to any others. It is a very stressful time and I am only trying to get good information.

Good luck to all involved - and I hope to see some of you at EJI someday!!!!

Cheers

Hotel points and airline miles

Purple and Yak,

In the interview they like to mention that all of their pilots can take their families on at least one luxury vacation per year... (virtually anywhere in the world there is airline service), on the points and miles they accumulate annually. Meals are the only "out of pocket" expense. Yet another perk to consider.

International crew airlining was advertised as first class or business class when I went through. Domestic travel is coach.

Your choice of cities to stage from is flexible and can be changed with a week or two notice. Good for planning vacations or if you happen to be a snow bird with multiple homes.

Just some more information I remembered from SAV.

Based on my personal experiences and that of my friends, I still believe that a top corp job is head and shoulders above the rest though.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd aim primarily for a pinnacle corporate job and secondarily for a top frax job... Wouldn't change a thing.

Best of luck,

NetJets International

Lumber,

you spurred me on in the other thread... here's some updated info from my NetJets Gulfstream insider...

-5000+ ACTIVE resumes
-450+ w/ G-IVSP/G-V Type Rating (me thinks around 350-400 are of the IVSP variety)
-It normally takes 12-18 months for a competetive applicant to get an interview and an inside advocate cannot shorten that by much.
-Four more G-IVSP's and the first G-VSP (G-550) show up on the doorstep this next year ('03).
-New jets will cause an increase in hiring, but not by much. No estimate on hiring numbers available.
-No "cross-flow" from NetJets to the Gulfstreams that I am aware of.
-If you are interested AND have a IV or V type rating, keep updating 'cause your number might come up.

Good Luck.

Yatz, CL60, and 510 have accurate information. I currently fly the IV at NJI.

Its a great place to work, with a caring management team who will bend over backwards to keep the troops happy.

There are many folks here who have come over from major F100 companies - some because their former jobs evaporated, some because their former employers bought into the program (e.g. Freeport-MacMoRan, Dresser), and some because they were treated poorly by their former F100 companies.

There are a variety of ex military types here including USAF 89th, and all other branches including Army (believe it or not, the Army does have a few Gulfstreams) and Coast Guard.

There are several ex and retired airline drivers as well, and a few non-turbine experienced people also.

Many advantages: live where you want (lower 48), days off without company contact (no pager, phone calls), and schedule. The training is superb (in-house as well as FSI SAV).

Disadvantages: Below industry standard $ for Gulfstream type equipment, some very long days/exhausting rotations, and the fact that the airplanes are homeless (as with all the fracs) means a lot more work at the end of the day for those of you who are used to having your familiar maint. crew putting the machine to bed for the night.

Bottom line is, company is very no-nonsense and not for the fainthearted - NJI is a very demanding, yet very satisfying work environment.

Don't have current hiring gouge, but it really is essential to have an insider to recommend.

Latest resources

Back