Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EJA/Hawker Midair w/ Glider....Everyone OK - Merged!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guitar rocker said:
I cant help but say it again after seeing these pictures....Annette and to your co-pilot....you guys did one hell of a job.

I would agree...

...btw, how long did it take dispatch to get you a new ship so you could finish your tour?

727gm said:
Great airmanship, agreed. The glorious Hawker pulls through, again.

Normal run-of-the-mill airmanship to see and avoid the glider in the first place, thereby avoiding demonstration of great airmanship.

Noticed(in 1st post) that the sheriff assumed the glider had hit the jet. Not probable: with the airspeed differential, the glider was in front of the Hawker (in view, in the front windscreen). The larger the speed differential, the narrower the cone of airspace in directly in front of the faster aircraft the slower ship will be located in.

There were two pilots in the jet, one should be looking out in VFR conditions below 18000 especially outside of Class B airspace. The glider also has the right-of-way(not to say a glider would crash rather than yield) over powered aircraft.

There is a major problem today with too much head-down button-pushing, and an assumption that if the TCAS is clear, there's no need to look outside.

Most gliders have no electrical system and no place to put an expensive TCAS system. A mode-C transponder would be nice, and they ARE getting smaller. Gliders carry no fuel, so can stay up far longer than a continuously-replying transponder's battery could last. Many have no nav or com radios. Many have no oxygen, and are therefore below 14000/12500 feet. Typically those above 14000 are better outfitted, with radios, GPS, 0xy, and (possibly) a transponder. Those above 18000 feet will normally be in a "wave window", a letter-of-agreement defined box that ATC will not be letting any other traffic into (very small defined area worked out for Wave flights), so not a problem for airplanes in Class A airspace.

They DO have great visibility. I've seen many jets, 210's, Bonanzas, etc, that I don't think ever saw me, but the glider doesn't have a cockpit full of "Attractive Nuisances" to detract from the job of seeing-and-avoiding.

You know 727, I read you post 3 times before I responed and do you think you could be a less bias??? I realize YOU see every airplane there is to see within 10nm miles of YOU. While the rest of us poor slops barely get by and are lucky if we see another plane when it is pointed out to us by ATC.

If you do have the jet time you claim you do, then you know that 16,000 is a busy time in a jet. Approach checks etc.

Also from what I have heard the capt saw the glider, it was just too late.
Maybe it is time the gliders put in at least one "Attractive Nuisance" ie; a transponder.

Nice job everyone! Hard to believe not too long ago, there were people who'd say we weren't worth anything.

727gm said:
Great airmanship, agreed. The glorious Hawker pulls through, again.

Normal run-of-the-mill airmanship to see and avoid the glider in the first place, thereby avoiding demonstration of great airmanship."

We used to play in a number of war game scenarios as both the good and bad guys in Europe. AWACs would call our "bandits", and even when the controllers were directing our eyes at the threat, usually F15s and F16s, it was difficult at best to pick them out, especially the F16s. Even if ATC informed the crew during the descent of glider activity in the area, that small of a target at relatively high altitude would be nearly impossible to see at 300 kts.

Sometimes two objects find themselves in the same space through little or no fault of those directly involved. The superior airmanship of the Hawker crew and the glider pilots' skill and ability to prepare and execute the bail out while no doubt wildly out of control are what saved the day. Transponder equipment goes a long way in reducing the chances of these events, especially if TCAS is involved in at least one of those aircraft. Small price to pay, considering the damage done and possible if not probable fatalities in most midair collisions.

if they had a transponder is should have been on!

c) Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with §91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.

Latest resources

Back