EGPWS article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

I read an article in this months AOPA about a dash 8 in night IMC that decended prematurely on the VOR DME B approach in Hayden,CO.They received a terain alert warning @ 11500 and lived to tell. They intercepted the inbound course 28 DME and descended below the 13000 they were told to maintain until established. If you look at the plate the approach doesn't start till 17 DME.My question is considering the previous info if given this clearance to maintain 13000 till established do you maintain 13000 till 17 DME ? The min on the approach @ 17 DME is 10000. I realize that the additional 3000 ft is there but technically do you stay @ that ATC clearance limit till 17 DME.

They weren't established on the approach yet (which starts at 17 DME), they were established on the final approach course (there is a difference).

Either way, you shouldn't (common sense) descend below MVA until you have guidance from the approach (MSA/MDA) unless you can maintain your own terrain separation (you are VFR on a visual approach).

Latest resources

Back