• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EGE question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lj45 it was obvious that I was referring to the feds based out of Aspen :)

once again, your cat. is based on MAX CERTIFED landing weight, not actual. You are one cat. unless you have to circle at a higher speed, then you use the higher speed Cat.

That would be the case if one were discussing approach speed categories for a terminal procedure. However, this applies to airport codes and pre-designated catagories for each aircraft, as previously shown.

An airplane is certified in only one approach category and although a faster approach may require higher category minimums to be used an airplane cannot be flown to the minimums of a slower approach category. The certified approach category is permanent and independent of the changing conditions of day to day operations. From a TERPS viewpoint the importance of a pilot not operating an airplane at a category line of minimums lower than the airplane is certified is for the margin of protection.

That would be the case if one were discussing approach speed categories for a terminal procedure. However, this applies to airport codes and pre-designated catagories for each aircraft, as previously shown.

And those codes are still determined by Max Cert landing weight, correct? The circle part was extra for approaches, I agree nothing to do with landing restriction or ARC in this case.

Last edited:
And those codes are still determined by Max Cert landing weight, correct? The circle part was extra for approaches, I agree nothing to do with landing restriction or ARC in this case.

Yes and no. It depends on what you mean. The category is determined by Vref (1.3*Vso) at max landing weight.

Latest resources

Back