EFB's & Nexrad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coool Hand Luke

Anyone on here using EFB's with Nexrad service?

We are planning on going paperless in Jan. and want to also get the Nexrad downlink/uplink. My question is, what type of antenna(s) are required for the Nexrad and for the GPS input? Obviously not wanting to punch holes in the pressure vessel if we can avoid it. Not sure if it matters but the EFB's will be used in a CE-550; CE-650 and EMB-120.

Thanks!

We use the xm weather on our vista nav tablet pc.
They have a combo GPS / XM antena that is placed on the dash and works just great on our Westwind II.

We use the xm weather on our vista nav tablet pc.
They have a combo GPS / XM antena that is placed on the dash and works just great on our Westwind II.

What is the brand name that you are using? I'm interested in pursuing one for our flight department

Cool Hand, we just installed WSI Inflight. Works great with the EFB's.

I looked at XM, but their satellite only gives lower 48 coverage. Which is fine if that's just where you go. WSI Inflight gives coverage from middle canada south to northern South American, including all the islands.

http://www.wsi.com/aviation/products/inflight/

I looked at XM, but their satellite only gives lower 48 coverage. Which is fine if that's just where you go. WSI Inflight gives coverage from middle canada south to northern South American, including all the islands.

The coverage for XM weather has expanded and covers the areas you mentioned.

The coverage for XM weather has expanded and covers the areas you mentioned.

Hmmm.....I was curious, so I checked out the XMWXWeather site.

I see where you can get Canada and Puerto Rico radar and text. But I can't seen to see a coverage map to see how far south XMWX goes into the America's.

I poked around a bit on their website...but couldn't find it.

Could you fire me the link to their coverage map so I can check it out.

thanks

Thanks Ultra. By what means does your EFB receive the WSI data? Portable antenna?

Thanks Ultra. By what means does your EFB receive the WSI data? Portable antenna?

The WSI Inflight receiver receives it's information via a GPS antenna.

The data is sent to our EFB's via a serial cable. When the WSI box is updated early next year, the data will go to the EFB via Ethernet.

We do have the capability to communicate to the EFB wireless by way of bluetooth. Some operators have put in the Bluetooth transmitters, and that is a simple thing to do in order to cut down on one cable.

Ultra.

The WSI Inflight receiver receives it's information via a GPS antenna.

The data is sent to our EFB's via a serial cable. When the WSI box is updated early next year, the data will go to the EFB via Ethernet.

We do have the capability to communicate to the EFB wireless by way of bluetooth. Some operators have put in the Bluetooth transmitters, and that is a simple thing to do in order to cut down on one cable.

Ultra.

I see....most excellent! (I am not a big fan of having cables running everywhere in the cockpit)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back