Education Waiver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jstock

I saw something about an education waiver for students with good grades wanting to join the ANG before they graduate college.
Has anyone heard of this, and if so, does it apply to pilots?
Also, where is there reliable information on it?

Thank you for any input,
Jeff

I'm pretty sure to be an officer you need to be a college graduate...And I know to be a pilot you have to be an officer.

The Air National Guard USED TO commission as officers people who had completed at least 64 credit hours with the agreement said officer would complete his degree within a set period of time. That program went away at least ten years ago.
Nowadays, in the Air Guard, just like the Active Duty Air Force and Air Force Reserve you must be a college graduate to get commissioned as an officer.

I have never heard of anyone actually getting one. I applied for a slot the summer after my junior year and was selected. The process is soo long for non-priors that manytimes they will select you based on the promise to finish by the date you give them.

Waivers

There is still such a thing as an education waiver. I know because I got one. So did two other people in my AMS class.

The waiver states that you must complete your bachelors within 5 years of commissioning.

I got mine because I was not a graduate by the time my package was submitted to the NGB. However, I finished college before I left for AMS.

The two other people at AMS that had education waivers were not college graduates. They still have a few classes that they will finish. They were both prior enlisted as I am.

It is my experience that flying units will not select you to interview unless you are in your last year of school (some want you in the last semester). As Winston said, the process is normally so long that you already have your degree completed when you leave for AMS.

You're probably not going to get selected until you're at least a senior in college, and I'd say that's even pretty rare. But the waiver still exists.

That's the great thing about this board. Someone like myself, who thinks he knows the answer spouts off and someone who DOES know the answer, like Flaco, provides the correct answer and straightens things out.

Thanks, like so many other times I thought I was right!!

so you really have to make a good impression for them to allow it.
I am only a sophmore so I have some time away from going in anyway, just anxious to get in.

Thanks for the info,
Jeff

Falco,

Regarding the Education Waiver:

Could you submit your application during your junior year of college since the interviews are in the summer when you will be within 1 year of graduating? I'm just looking ahead.

Thanks in advance!

Submitting Apps Early

I would recommend submitting your applications as soon as they're complete, even if you're slightly below 90 credit hours. It can't hurt, if they don't like it they won't interview you. It puts your name out there and you may get an interview out of it. Just make sure your application is complete with all scores, etc. If it's not, it'll make you look like you can't understand simple directions. Good luck.

Flaco

Latest resources

Back