Education question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tar Heel

Was curious if anyone who is involved in ATC could help answer this question for me. Are there any west coast schools which offer degrees or aviation backgrounds? I work with an individual who is in the Navy who is interested in becoming an ATC and is working on finding a college to attend when he gets out soon. Thank you for any advice.

Tar Heel

PS - I know MTSU, ERAU, UND and Purdue all have good programs but my colleague is looking for something out west to be closer to family. Thanks.

If the only goal is ATC, why waste the money on a school? The FAA is hiring right off the street. If a degree is desirable, I would suggest any field besides ATC. You can still work ATC with a degree in something else.

If the only goal is ATC, why waste the money on a school? The FAA is hiring right off the street. If a degree is desirable, I would suggest any field besides ATC. You can still work ATC with a degree in something else.
Almost nobody gets a high enough score on the ATSAT to be hired off the street. Having a previous aviation background probably helps tho.

Guys who mess around on www.vatsim.net destroy the ATSAT. From a simulator hobby to a career.
Its all a radar scope. If you have an aviation or any kind of ATC background you can probably do ok.

The CTI is a guarantee, off the street isn't. I majored in something else but took the CTI course as a minor. It was either that or blow money on credits that wouldn't be of any use.

I'm not downing CTI, I was already to go to Mt. Sac awhile back.
I think its worth it if thats what you wanna do. Some of the programs are better than others. Some do a lot of radar sim work, some don't. As a pilot it lets me take a step back and realize why ATC can't send me direct, or give me this altitude, etc....

Latest resources

Back