Economics for Paid Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyWestCRJPilot said:
Then perhaps we should do away with the NMB, OSHA, subsidies, tariffs, social security, and all social programs. According to you nothing can overcome the "laws" of economics. Adam Smith was an advocate of the pure market economy with the "invisible hand" of economics. Our present day economy isn't anywhere close the pure market economy he envisioned. We are somewhat more enlightened, realizing that as humans there are social programs, government controls, and other entities (unions) that are important to making peoples lives better than would a pure and ruthless market economy.

P.S. "old mentor", Why do you hide behind a brand new user name? You show only 7 posts. Are you afraid of something?
You misinterpret my point. Government programs, including those you mention, are paid for by tax dollars from companies and individuals. They also generate compliance cost for companies. Corporate taxes and compliance costs, along with the other company expenses, factor into the amount available for salaries. My comments do not address the worthiness or unworthiness of these. Taxes and government programs are certainly reality and essential to degrees that are subject to continuing debate by more folks than you and I. However, they are not at the core of the point I've been trying to make. An airline, like all the other for-profit companies, has to make more money than it spends; at least, until there is a government program that takes money from other professions to pay yours. Next, we could have a program to take money from airline employees to pay accountants.
PS Were you hiding and afraid when you had 7 posts? You and Halo have a similar talent for guessing peoples' background from what you see here. Don't let paranoia set in; it's contagious!

Latest resources

Back