Eclipse Jet lands gear-up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyBoy1981 said:
Wow, I hope that none of you ever make such a mistake in your career. I guess that most of you who are dogging this guy must have went to Riddle or some other pilot factory so you are immune to screwing up. Do you think the guys that have actually done it ever thought they would make such a simple mistake as forgetting the gear? :rolleyes:

Sounds like sombody has a gear up landing on their record???

BLing said:
Sounds like sombody has a gear up landing on their record???
Nope, I have nothing on my record. I do, however, realize that I am human and capable of making even the most obvious of mistakes, and I'm not foolish enough to criticize those who have been less fortunate.

Last edited:
I know a guy that geared up his comanche. He got it fixed and took it home. After flying around for a few hours around the airport HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest some of you look up hubris in the dictionary.

Anyone can make a mistake.

Flyin Tony said:
I know a guy that geared up his comanche. He got it fixed and took it home. After flying around for a few hours around the airport HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you mention that Tony, the same thing happened at my airport to a black dude in a 210. He just got it fixed and did it again the next day.:eek:

I suggest some of you look up hubris in the dictionary.

Hubris (Hu bris) n.: 1. The circumcision of young males named Hugh. 2. Greek Goddess who was noted for her lack of restraint, patron saint of my ex-mother-in-law. 3. Those who have, and those who will.

Hubris Deplanum (Hu bris De Plan em) adv: The act of performing a circumcision on young males named Hugh while executing a gear up landing in a fixed wing aircraft, and then exiting quickly without causing further injury. See Malpractice.

"Originally Posted by BoilerUP
But for the grace of God go I...but if a professional pilot lands with his gear up in this new VLJ I'd hate to see what happens once owner/operators start transitioning from their Barons and Mooneys..."

Never done it....yet.

I could see it happening under test flight conditions when there's alot going on. Doesn't excuse him, but it explains what happened.

And I know it's different when you're burning JetA, but flying fast/slippery piston airplanes, throwing the gear out is the best way to get slowed down into approach speeds without being heavy handed on the throttles and shock cooling the engine(s).

My old Bonanza had a gear speed of 125 kts, and a flap speed of 100.

I had to shift my thinking with the 340 with a flap speed 15 kts faster than the gear speed (160/145), but still....if you make a habit of being light on the throttles....throwing the gear out is about the only way to stabilize an approach speed.

Then, there's the GUMP check, that gets run thru 3x while in pattern, with one final look for the green lights when crossing the fence.

Latest resources

Back