Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Minimaniac

Benevolent Dictator
Hello to everyone on the other end of that radio! I am a regional pilot who is considering what other jobs are out there (heard that one a lot lately, I am sure). A buddy of mine works in Jax center, but I can' t reach him on the phone now so I will ask you all a few questions while they are fresh in my mind. Some may be incredibly obvious, but I am very much in the dark about the controller profession.

- Where is Indy Center...as in I live in Indianapolis, and I was wondering IF I were to get hired as a controller, would I be able to work Indy Center without moving?

- Does anyone from Indy Center know if you are in need of staffing?

- Does being a center controller require any specific qualifications that tower control positions do not?

- Could I get hired? I am 28, with a four year degree, and have been flying for the airlines for 5 years now.

- Where does the pay scale begin under the new contract, and what can a controller expect to make once the training is complete?

Thank you in advance for your helpful responses.

Hello to everyone on the other end of that radio! I am a regional pilot who is considering what other jobs are out there (heard that one a lot lately, I am sure). A buddy of mine works in Jax center, but I can' t reach him on the phone now so I will ask you all a few questions while they are fresh in my mind. Some may be incredibly obvious, but I am very much in the dark about the controller profession.

- Where is Indy Center...as in I live in Indianapolis, and I was wondering IF I were to get hired as a controller, would I be able to work Indy Center without moving? Can't address the Indi questions. Sorry.

- Does anyone from Indy Center know if you are in need of staffing? All FAA facilities are in need of staffing at the moment, espicially the Centers.

- Does being a center controller require any specific qualifications that tower control positions do not? Go look at the www.FAA.gov website, select jobs link at top of page, there's all sorts of data there. Must be a US citizen, Must be hired before your 31st B-Day. Must read, speak, and write English. Must have 3 years work experience or 4 years college, or some combo of both. Must not be a convicted felon, etc.

- Could I get hired? I am 28, with a four year degree, and have been flying for the airlines for 5 years now.
The FAA is hiring anyone who is qualified (as listed above). Your airline time, flight experince, college doesn't really matter. This is not like trying to get hired at the airlines. Right now the FAA is desperate to fill slots, so long as you score well on the AT-SAT, and can pass a Class 2 medical, you'll probably be a shoe-in. Its just a very slow process to get hired. Most of the young folks I work with have said it took upward to a year for them to actually go thru the process.

- Where does the pay scale begin under the new contract, and what can a controller expect to make once the training is complete? Go look under the ATC section on the board for a thread entitled ATC Benefits. I have made a rather lengthy post there which contains pay scales, explanation as to how/when you get raises, facility levels, locality pay, other benefits, retirement, etc. That should answer your questions here.

Thank you in advance for your helpful responses.
Good luck. This has been great career. Even with the imposed work rules ots still better than most options out there today. Also there is another web site that has a career specific forum for ATC hiring, http://www.jetcareers.com, significantly more data there to read (at its free). Between the 2 sites, you'll have a lot to look at. And will find the vast majority of what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Seeing as the FAA is now recruiting directly out of high school, yes you are qualified...probably over-qualified.

Does anyone know if the FAA has ever considered eliminating the age requirement? I'm over 31 but have eight years of military ATC experience.

Indy Center is located on IND airport property.

The age 31 rule is federal law and mandated by Congress. The FAA does not have the authority to change it without Congressional approval. They didn't do it after the strike, I doubt they'll do it now.

The FAA, however, has hired some previous military controllers over the age of 31 through a program called the "Phoenix 50" program. Its not a career position, but rather 5 year contracts....and I don't think there's a retirement at the end associated with it. But, you might look into that avenue, it may open some doors.

Also this current retired mi contrller (RMC) bid does not mention and age limit. Check it out:
http://jobs.faa.gov/asap_detail.asp?vac_id=106771

Last edited:
The age 31 rule is federal law and mandated by Congress. The FAA does not have the authority to change it without Congressional approval. They didn't do it after the strike, I doubt they'll do it now.

The FAA, however, has hired some previous military controllers over the age of 31 through a program called the "Phoenix 50" program. Its not a career position, but rather 5 year contracts....and I don't think there's a retirement at the end associated with it. But, you might look into that avenue, it may open some doors.

Also this current retired mi contrller (RMC) bid does not mention and age limit. Check it out:
http://jobs.faa.gov/asap_detail.asp?vac_id=106771

Here's what blows me out of the water:

Who May Apply:
Military air traffic controllers who are either on terminal leave pending retirement from active duty military service or who retired from active duty on or after September 17, 1999, may apply.

This sounds like the Phoenix program you mentioned. I do appreciate the link though. It doesn't appear that I'll be sitting in a tower ever again and that sucks. Oh well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back