• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eastern History Needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FmrFreightDog, thanks for the input. Although I didn't live through the EAL mess first hand as a family member of a striker, I was able to see it pretty close since several of the close family friends were EAL strikers. Yes, I'm aware that many of the strikers provide distinctions between different groups of crossers. The opinions on this are very wide. Some guys don't hold as much contempt for the guys that crawled back, even before Bavis gave the go-ahead, as they do for the guys that crossed at the beginning or the guys that were newhires. I know one rEAL striker that doesn't hold any hard feelings towards any of the scabs, including the guys that crossed proudly on the first day. Then there are other guys that think you're contemptible even if you crawled back at the very end with the blessing of Jack Bavis. The opinions are wide and varied, even among the guys that walked the line until the very last day.

The point of my post was to point out some of the inaccuracies that have been going around about what the EAL MEC and ALPA National did during the end of the strike. I believe this post probably originated because of a debate going on among some guys at AirTran right now because of a guy that's running for NPA President who's name appears on the list. The justification that's being given is that he crossed the line because ALPA National and the EAL MEC gave permission at the end of '89. That's not really accurate. I think people deserve the full story about what happened in the final months of '89 so that they can make their own determination about whether his crossing was justified or not.

One of my VP reserve buddy's was EAL, group four as it is called, in ground school for 727 F/E at AAL, he says he was told all is well come on back. In 20 yrs at EAL he never made Captain. 1991 was a tuff time for jobs in the US, he went to Saudi to fly pipe line patrol in a twin otter.

This whole thing was debated some time ago on this message board. For any of the younger set to think that this was a simple situtation that is not the case. Nor, to most of this board, is it particularly even fair to Frank Lorenzo regardless of what one thinks of him. In a way, it has more to do with Borman's leadership and the course he set the airline on and Charlie Bryans ego. For my money, you can place a good deal more fault with the maintenance department and their union leaders for bringing an airline to its knees. The pilots were more just caught up in the culture and the crap than so worried about their own problems. Lorenzo was more like the vulture circling the dieing carcus than the one causing the death.
In any case, the airline demise caused tremendous hurt on a wide range of people, many of whom never really recovered. Those who would condemn any of the people from Eastern are just as guilty of the same type stupidity that was exhibited daily during the Eastern failure.

Up yours buddy.

I'll be back.

Looking at some of the CEO's running the airlines these days, I will probably start to look appealing to a lot of workers.
Your a piece of s%$t....you rank up there with Hanoi Jane....you think your avatar is soo cute....Little do you really know what went on and how many households were upheaved because of this. Furthermore, you probably lack the intestinal fortitude to even identify yourself as a Lorenzo supporter in person......Go suck a d**k........

......And the several people who comitted suicide as a direct result of Frankie's actions, I can think of two CAL pilots and Al Feldman, FL CEO, just for starters.

Your a piece of s%$t....you rank up there with Hanoi Jane....you think your avatar is soo cute....Little do you really know what went on and how many households were upheaved because of this. Furthermore, you probably lack the intestinal fortitude to even identify yourself as a Lorenzo supporter in person......Go suck a d**k........

He's a "spoof"; it's satire...

Do you think Colbert is really a conservative when he's says "Bush is the best Pres. he's ever seen, that the war is the is a great way to spend a trillion dollars"?

He is providing the perspective of how far off the wall Frank really was.

Latest resources

Back