Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cpt Oveur

I had the fish for dinner
Anyone know if ear tubes/ pressure equalization tubes are legal for a class one medical or where can I go for more info?

I believe they are, check AOPA.

From AOPA.

Most of the time, otitis media is treated with antibiotics and clears up without complications. But when blockage of the eustachian tube becomes a chronic problem, it may require other intervention. A likely option will be the insertion of a tiny, hollow ventilation tube into an opening in the eardrum to help stabilize ear pressure and allow fluid to drain from the middle ear. The FAA has no required recovery time after the procedure. When your doctor determines that you are having no side effects, such as dizziness or disequilibrium, and releases you to your normal activities, you may resume flying privileges with your current medical certificate.
The eustachian bypass procedure needs to be reported at your next FAA physical exam. If your condition is stable at the time of your visit, the AME may issue your medical certification.

needed at Medical: Status Report, Hospital Records.

I've had P tubes for years. The FAA has no problem with them at all. Check with ALPA Aeromedical for any questions. I've had the surgery a couple times and don't regret it for a second. PM me for more detailed info ie hearing loss, etc.

Latest resources

Back