Eagle or Mesa?

MVSW

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2005
Posts
221
Total Time
Growin
Mesa... I think upgrade at Eagle is 7yrs :(
 

coolyokeluke

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
313
Total Time
2600+
When I was out of work I shotgunned resumes to just about everyone except MESA. They have some good folks working for them, but a really lousy contract and work rules, and the evil Ornstein (sp?) in charge. Just say no!
 

mamba20

Do what now?
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Posts
1,030
Total Time
000000
Even with a 7 year upgrade, have some self respect, dont go to mesa. Go to Eangle OR keep applying to other places.
 

El Guapo

Mile high club member
Joined
Jun 16, 2003
Posts
54
Total Time
Plenty
Come To The Dark Side

NEITHER. Get away from those regionals and checkout the dark side of the cargo world.

More $$money$$, better schedules, much quicker upgrades and no passengers to deal with, plus I'm flying a heavy. There is of course the bad stuff, like flying mostly at night, and no hot flight attendants, but that's all the bad stuff that I can think of. And after seeing some of those fat and ugly flight attendants at some of those regionals I'd have to say the flying at night is the worse thing.
 

wntsouthwest

Active member
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Posts
32
Total Time
enough
talked to an eagle fo last week, he's been right seat for 10 yrs., and he said he will never upgrade...in the jet that is, if american calls back then maybe sooner. Mesa sucks but get time take the dash for upgrade and go to SWA or CAL or whatever,,,,,,, goooooooood luck
 

NoJoy

LAMA/400
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Posts
529
Total Time
10,000
Don't be afraid to try SkyWest. Good work rules and the upgrade is about the same as Mesa's.
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
Go to Mesa, upgrade in 1 year on the E145 (what is happening now--for MCO), get some PIC, apply to CAL.


Bye Bye--General Lee
 
O

Otto Coarsen

My friend with roughly the same experience was hired at eagle the same time I was hired at Mesa.

Almost 2 years later these are the straight facts:

Him - FO in Miami on the ATR
- Making 20something an hour
- Has a nice schedule, off like 13-15 days a month
- can stay securely in Miami with no fear of displacement
- Hopes to "upgrade" to E145FO in the next couple months
- Has a "nice" uniform with a jacket and hat
- Has like 850 hours of Turbine SIC time
- Travels alot on days off, easy trip trades
- Is generally content, likes his job
- gets to drink beer pretty often

ME - CA in Denver on the DHC-8
- Making 41 an hour Should gross 48K this year
- 8 Days off reserve schedule / mixed line usually worth 80 hrs
- Sit ready reserve 5+ days a month
- Secure in Denver, but RJ guys get displaced regularly
- Can hold ERJ in MCO making 56 an hour / not interested
- Will probably get ORD CRJ capt by December
- Have 1000 Turbine PIC
- rarely get to drink beer
- Rarely travel for fun
- ugly unprofessional uniform
- Get harassed by Crew Tracking regularly
- Have had to fight to get paid properly
- Am going prematurely grey, possibly developing a stomach ulcer
- Becoming pretty negative and miserable
- Looking seriously at career advancement in the near future elsewhere
- Much more competitive than him on a resume
- Hated by Flightinfo.com types for working @ mesa


So, I guess look at the facts, decide which sucks less, and make an informed decision! :)
 

jea

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Posts
235
Total Time
16 yrs
mesa

but we love you Otto- my bro in law still drives the 4 wd green van!!!
 

Swaayze

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Posts
692
Total Time
10k
Your Eagle FO was full of it. 10 years puts you left seat of either jet. In fact I think right now prop upgrades are at 6 years. Those hired today will be lucky to upgrade in 10 IMO.
 

raysalmon

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
121
Swaayze said:
Your Eagle FO was full of it. 10 years puts you left seat of either jet. In fact I think right now prop upgrades are at 6 years. Those hired today will be lucky to upgrade in 10 IMO.

Otto Coarsen said:
- Hopes to "upgrade" to E145FO in the next couple months

Don't believe he said anything about left seat in there.
 

RIDETHELIGHTING

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Posts
702
Total Time
Enough
Yea, so when did going from fo to fo become in upgrade. Also WOW you can upgrade in six years on the turbo prop. You upgrade almost anywhere in half that time.
 

labbats

Zulu who?
Joined
May 25, 2003
Posts
2,593
Total Time
9000
It's terrible at Eagle. Go to Mesa, the pillar of all that is right in aviation. Then come back in a year and post how your life is. I'll be waiting....


:rolleyes:

P.S. How many of you 5 years ago would have told people to buy Northwest, Delta, United stock? Your crystal ball works fine for people currently upgrading after that hiring boom of 2002 (sarcasm), but who knows what the future holds.
 

Jet_Driver

"There I was...."
Joined
May 5, 2005
Posts
126
Total Time
enough
wntsouthwest said:
talked to an eagle fo last week, he's been right seat for 10 yrs....

BULL SHHHH, well you know. If this guy truly is an FO w/10 years, he's an idiot. I know plenty of 6yr CA, even some 7-8yr CRJ ORD CA.

Get the facts straight.
 

Swaayze

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2002
Posts
692
Total Time
10k
I was referring to the guy in the van w/ 10 years who was still in the right seat.......
 

LAXSaabdude

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Posts
431
Total Time
15K +
wntsouthwest said:
talked to an eagle fo last week, he's been right seat for 10 yrs., and he said he will never upgrade...in the jet that is
Then it's by choice. I haven't even been here 10 years, and I have been an RJ Capt. for 1 1/2 years now. Don't beleive everything people say.

LAXSaabdude.
 

LDavid

I know what you did.
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Posts
53
Total Time
2000
Otto Coarsen said:
My friend with roughly the same experience was hired at eagle the same time I was hired at Mesa.

Almost 2 years later these are the straight facts:

Him - FO in Miami on the ATR
- Making 20something an hour
- Has a nice schedule, off like 13-15 days a month
- can stay securely in Miami with no fear of displacement
- Hopes to "upgrade" to E145FO in the next couple months
- Has a "nice" uniform with a jacket and hat
- Has like 850 hours of Turbine SIC time
- Travels alot on days off, easy trip trades
- Is generally content, likes his job
- gets to drink beer pretty often

ME - CA in Denver on the DHC-8
- Making 41 an hour Should gross 48K this year
- 8 Days off reserve schedule / mixed line usually worth 80 hrs
- Sit ready reserve 5+ days a month
- Secure in Denver, but RJ guys get displaced regularly
- Can hold ERJ in MCO making 56 an hour / not interested
- Will probably get ORD CRJ capt by December
- Have 1000 Turbine PIC
- rarely get to drink beer
- Rarely travel for fun
- ugly unprofessional uniform
- Get harassed by Crew Tracking regularly
- Have had to fight to get paid properly
- Am going prematurely grey, possibly developing a stomach ulcer
- Becoming pretty negative and miserable
- Looking seriously at career advancement in the near future elsewhere
- Much more competitive than him on a resume
- Hated by Flightinfo.com types for working @ mesa


So, I guess look at the facts, decide which sucks less, and make an informed decision! :)

Great Insight. Thanks Otto.
 
Top