Eagle/medication question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

7574EVER

I'm going to start by saying that this is not a part of my past that I'm particulary proud of or enjoy admitting so I'd ask that any comments be kept to yourselves. Anyway, unfortunately it is a fact that back in the spring of '06, due to some life circumstances at the time, I took an anti-depressant for a VERY short period of time. I did the right thing and reported it to the FAA and, in turn, watched my job go away for awhile. I wasn't thinking too clearly and was up for the meds at the time. I knew that it would mean a hault to flying for awhile, but with the way I was feeling, I was fine with that. I was only on the medication for about a week and a half (not even long enough for the meds to really even kick in) before I pulled my head out of my ass and decided to deal with the issues on my own, without the aid of a happy pill (that and I was having some..uh...unfavorable side-effects. Some may know what I may be refering to haha).

Anyway, in July of '06 I got the go-ahead from the FAA to start flying again and all has been well since then. In preperation to dropping my app to eagle (which I plan on doing this week or early next week) I went to get my medical updated the other day. My AME and I BS's about the situation last spring and I thanked him again for all his help and incite on the matter. Knowing that American has pretty tight physicals he offered up his advice on how to handle the situation if it were to ever come up in the interviews medical portion.

I guess my question is this. I realize that Eagle no longer does the "astronaut" physicals; but, are any questions ever asked regarding use of anti-depressants? To the best of my knowledge I was never officially diagnosed with depression.

I just don't want this to be a disqualifying factor if asked. I would really really like to get on with them and would kick myself in the ass if I'm denied because I chose to take the medication in the past rather than deal with things on my own.

Thanks for your input. I don't think (or at least hope) this would ever be an issue or cause me to be denied employment. I just don't want any surprises.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that at one time or another many people on this board were on a happy pill or a chill pill. I read a quote somewhere that said 30% of pilots admitted to taking one of these pills before flying. Ouch!!! Personally I would have just not told the FAA. Or say you were prescribed but did'nt take them etc. Too late for that now. I would worry about the whole eagle thing. Plus did you know the eagle FO that ran the airplane off the runway in PR (atr) was on a chill pill?

Take care

I think you'll find that at one time or another many people on this board were on a happy pill or a chill pill. I read a quote somewhere that said 30% of pilots admitted to taking one of these pills before flying. Ouch!!! Personally I would have just not told the FAA. Or say you were prescribed but did'nt take them etc. Too late for that now. I would worry about the whole eagle thing. Plus did you know the eagle FO that ran the airplane off the runway in PR (atr) was on a chill pill?

Take care

Did you mean to say that you WOULD worry about it? If you did I appreciate your honesty even, though it's not exactly going to let me sleep easy tonight. It was just a little contradictory to your following statement. I do hope that you meant that I shouldn't worry about it though.

757....the regs say that you have to have been off the meds for at least six months with no adverse side effects and no signs or symptoms of anxiety or depression....sounds like youve got that covered....while I dont know exactly what the physical at Eagle is like, I would imagine that as long as you are honest with them, and explain to them that you had a rough patch and are now through it, it shouldnt be a problem. They need pilots...BAD. If it doesnt work out at Eagle...it will work out somewhere else....I dont think this is a career ender, just be honest. The sad part is that there are thousands of pilots flying around on these meds against the regs...( I dont know how bad the side effects really are ) and there are other guys flying around depressed and untreated. There have been a number of pushes to get the FAA to approve antidepressants but nothing has been done so far....good luck!

If I remember the physical (It was in May) I don't think you will have any problem. Just be honest IF they ask. There is a good chance they may not. I know they ask for any meds that you are currently on which shouldn't be a problem. The people there are very nice and they know how bad we need pilots. PM me if you have any questions!

I went through he medical maybe 2 weeks ago. All it consisted off was drug test (peeing twice and having to pinch it off, probably one of the hardest things on the interview) Hearing test, and finger printing. They want you to have a current first class now and figure everything else has already been done, blood pressure, eyes. If you have a first class I wouldn't sweet it. It was up to your AME to flag your prescriptions.

Are you applying soon?

I'll back the previous two posts. I went through in March when they still had a pretty thorough medical eval. I don't recall being asked even about current prescriptions, let alone past prescriptions.

Latest resources

Back