Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Medical histories

English said:
I did the AMR medical in 2000, and was asked about my family's medical histories.
Well, I thought I read that AMR stopped that because of ADA.

I remember completing AMR's $!@$%^&@$! form and not being happy about having to disclose my ancestors' family history. I could see no relevance to my health history or, most importantly, ability to pilot an airplane. They probably use(d) it to single-out individuals whom they believe by virtue of family health history might be prone to illness (or, because they're nazis, are not Aryans).

Last edited:
Rectal exams v. BOHICA

Freight Dog said:
I heard your rectal starts on your first day and lasts throughout your employment there. :D
I always heard it began with your first aviation job and continues through your last aviation job.

I could be wrong but....

From what I know is they can't not hire you if you have a first class med. If this is correct and airlines are so into saving $$$ then why spend the cash on the medical dept. and the whole process in the first place? Seems like a good place to save money. SWA never had a medical dept.

Company medicals v. just holding a First

LearLove said:
From what I know is they can't not hire you if you have a first class med. If this is correct and airlines are so into saving $$$ then why spend the cash on the medical dept. and the whole process in the first place? Seems like a good place to save money. SWA never had a medical dept.
That's why I'm surprised to read that AMR still gives applicants physicals. Twelve-thirteen years ago, companies were very strict about pilots' physical condition, but with the advent of the ADA and other laws, a good many companies these days are satisfied if you just have a First. Which is how it should be. If it is good enough for the government, it should be good enough for them. Southwest deserves congratulations for its 21st century perspective on pilot medical quals.

Well for all we know maybe they wont do the medicals when they start hiring again. I guess we will just wait and see.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back