Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle MEC says EGL too expensive to compete.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eagle's problems are a cummulation of several things

- Last big player to the RJ game
- 250+ fleet with 50 seats or less and high fuel
- Costs in longevity from no upward movement

I know some will flame me here, but AE needs more 700s to make an attempt at being viable. At the same time mainline AA needs a 100-125 seater to fill in the gap between the 700 and MD-80/738. They are already taking 738, why not add the 73G as well?

And how much is USAIRWAYS Flying the 190's for? Top out pay of 95 an hour... yeah they are holding the bar really high.. How about we thank American for allowing regional jets to be flown at the regional airline level effectively screwing over the last 25 years of pilots? Those planes should have been flown from the beginning at a Mainline operator... And yes I am a regional pilot..

Well not to defend their rates, but they have been through bankruptcy twice and had 0 leverage. Other regionals fly them for much less money. And dont tell me that they top out higher, because nobody on that list has been there that long. It could top out at a million bucks an hour and it wouldn't matter.

But you're right, scope has been the problem since day one. Airways has 9 different Express carriers, and Parker made it clear last month that they play them off each other to lower costs.

Well not to defend their rates, but they have been through bankruptcy twice and had 0 leverage. Other regionals fly them for much less money. And dont tell me that they top out higher, because nobody on that list has been there that long. It could top out at a million bucks an hour and it wouldn't matter.

But you're right, scope has been the problem since day one. Airways has 9 different Express carriers, and Parker made it clear last month that they play them off each other to lower costs.

Even if Airways paid exactly the same as a crappy regional flying the E-Jet, it would still be the better job because you're also getting seniority at the same time at an airline that counts. This is the reason scope is more critical than pay up to a point. Think about how much better your career would be if you started gaining seniority at a mainline airline when you first stepped foot on a jet instead of wasting 10 years of your life just to get your foot in the door.

Think about how much better your career would be if you started gaining seniority at a mainline airline when you first stepped foot on a jet instead of wasting 10 years of your life just to get your foot in the door.

winner winner chicken dinner

...you mean like a 16 year "average pay" contract?

Calling it an "average pay contract" is a little overly simplistic. Remember, even if the average across the industry only increased by 0.1% for the year, the EGL contract still provided for a minimum 1.5% increase. So, even in a year where pay is stagnant across the industry, the EGL guys still got a raise. Looking at their current rates, they're doing well compared to their peers, despite the 16-year contract that so many pilots criticized.

Scope

Back in 2002 mesa got their scope clause that protected not only their jobs but many other carrieres. Their Scope prevented mesa from purchasing airways at the time, and it prevented the hostile takeover of ACA. Mesa pilots were and still are bashed because of their 2002 contract. They payed dearly for the scope... Why cant United, continental, Delta, Airways, American grow a set and do what is right for the industry just like Mesa pilots did in 2002... Get a scope clause that is worth anything? The 190 rates at Easties Airways is downright pathetic. And you are wrong about top out pay at mesa... there are over 150 pilots who have been at mesa for 20 plus years...BUT.... again the REAL problem is mainline and whatever union is representing them allowing the RJ's to be flown at a regional. NOBODY wants to fly RJ's for a Regional, its just the only thing left since they were given to the regionals so the super senior guys at mainline could fly their 777's and A330's and screw the rest of us along with the junior pilots at their own companies... AMR giving up the right to fly Regionals because they were above flying such a small piece of equipment 25 years ago... Way to look ahead! :puke:All pilots need to stop worrying about whats best for their paycheck ( right now) and look at whats best for their collective careers ( 5-10 years from right now) and stop pissing in each others wheaties... Managment is laughing all the way to the bank.. Take a good look at East vs West Usairways/Cactus.... Cactus pilots are making about 20,000 a year more than the east. Do the math... The east pilots have taken it in the shorts on pay because they took their toys out of the sand box after the arbitrator ruled against their wishes (BINDING ARBITRATION)and they went and did what they thought would be best for them... (by starting a underfunded in house union) I dont think it worked out the way they expected or wanted it too.. Ill step off of my soapbox now... General you have any comments?

Last edited:
I believe that if you look at all the facts, the Cactus pilots are getting paid a premium as a bonus for getting stuck having to deal with the East pilots.

Odd.... A friend of mine is over there and never got this email from alpa.

I don't know much about eagle but if the authors information on eagle is as good as his information on coex then I would not pay any attention to what the story says.

Latest resources

Back