• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle gear up go around in SYR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being a EMB145 driver myself ;-) , He had to have initiated that go-around well before the airplane touched the ground. From idle thrust it takes about 8-9 secounds for the Engines to spool to max thrust in t/o-1 mode. And there is a tollerance of 75ft(lookin in the limitations) loss on go around. So they had to have known something was up before that belly hit.

Yep, a go around initiated at 50' under CATII conditions easily ends up touching down on the runway if the rotation isn't initiated perfectly.

From what the manual says, when the electric hyd valve pump turns off ...that... is the signal to the EICAS to mark the gear as DN/Green (as insane as that is, it just means the pump stopped).

What the F&%*% are they smoking down in that jungle? Is it because their toilets flush the wrong way? You're saying that the "down and locked" indication is in no way related to the gear being either down or locked? That's like having the cabin pressure indication based on the altimeter and all door handles being stowed, even if the door was wide open.

That's just too funny.

My sincere compliments to the crew--hope this incident did not cause any sleepless nights after the fact.

Now maybe we can discuss why no one told them to wave off on short final....THERE is a safety issue we can have impact on.

An unnamed large regional maintains company policy to NOT do a tower "fly-by" if you have three green as it could frighten the passengers. I wonder if they'll change that brilliant policy. Dumbarses.

Ahh yes! Comair has many "this makes no sense policys". While I'm on here JC LAwson is fat Ferry

Last edited:
What the F&%*% are they smoking down in that jungle? Is it because their toilets flush the wrong way? You're saying that the "down and locked" indication is in no way related to the gear being either down or locked? That's like having the cabin pressure indication based on the altimeter and all door handles being stowed, even if the door was wide open.

That's just too funny.

My sincere compliments to the crew--hope this incident did not cause any sleepless nights after the fact.

Now maybe we can discuss why no one told them to wave off on short final....THERE is a safety issue we can have impact on.

The same thing our FEDS are smoking by certifying an airplane that does effectively does not have a down and locked indication system. I thought a transport category airplane had to have two independent methods of verifying the gear is down and locked? 737's have the spare set of lights up on top of the panel. MD-80 has the periscope in the cabin above the mains, DHC-8 has the Alternate lights near the emergency gear pump, I can't remember what the EMB-145 had.

These pilots and pax are very lucky. Pulling it back in the air was probably a reflex once he felt something other than a greaser. Like scraping metal. Ground the fleet.

A. Toilets flushing the "wrong way" is an urban myth and has everything to do with design of the toilet only.

B. Does the FOQUA(sp?) data not take care of things like if the gear was selected down?

Now that I think about it.... If the nose door was spotted open, then they could have had a COMPLETE hydraulic failure. In the event of one the nose wheel door Droops down. e probably for got to drop the gear manually. As far as him noticing the gear not being down cuz he didn't feel the wheels touch is BS. Cuz when he brings that power to idle, that airplane comes down. remember, its a jet. Not a prop! It takes time for those engines to spool up to thrust that will take em back in the air.

Hey pud(pdu)

yeah, "complete hydraulic failure" 'cause the reports all tell of the difficulty with the ailerons, no brakes, and the lack of stearing.

"power to idle, comes down", good point, since you must have been the ass that pulled the power and caused my spine to be .5mm out of alignment after my last "Freedom" DH....on final-thrust to what had to be idle, I actually had time to look at the guy next to me, say "oh ********************", and yank on the seat belt....to bad aircraft seats are designed to allow you to survive a crash, not walk away from one...

Note-you don't stall a swept wing jet during landing-fly it on....

How long does it take for the engines to "spool up", per the regs....how long...I can stay in ground effect that long-let alone slide it down the runway...

when you've got enough hours to make CA, you will know when it doesn't feel right when it counts(maybe not freedom)---like when you have three green, and you should be on the mains, but aren't, I guess you would probably just be looking out the window grinning 'cause you were in a "jet"...(probably junior man too)

B

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back