Eagle Air Med

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left there 3 years ago

I loved the place. But not for the reason people may think. I always wanted to live at Monument Valley and the Lake Powell area. I enjoy exploring old cliff dwellings and finding historic trails. I have a large library of books on the area. Its a hard, desolate area that really is a third-world country all its own. Most people living out of town dont even have electricty or running water! There are no FBO's or hangers and you are on your own to de-ice your plane (by hand, generally scraping), and fuel it. There are no pretty FBO girls on the Rez. Nobody is running out with hot coffee in your MAPCO and a couple bags of ice. There is no weather reporting on most of the Rez airports and no approaches. Its snows there and is cold in the winter.

The company was good to me. The statement that they exaggerate their pay may be due to the fact that the guys I flew with all lived there and they were not "going home" on their days off. Most flew extra as they were there anyway. The average pay then goes up. 20 days a month is what the company asked you to commit to and you could do more if you wanted, no pressure to do so, though. Equipment was late model C90B King Airs and maintenance was good. If I had a problem they were down to Kayenta right away, or I could fly up there, and there was none of this "lets put it off until the next inspection" crap.

Accomodations cannot be rented on the Rez, therefore the company provides your housing for, I think it was, $180 a month, utilities included and half the DSL and DirecTV was paid for. The company cell phone was also included and I could use it for personal use all I wanted. Insurance was good and paid for by the company. I lived in a nice later model modular home, others are not as nice but I know they replaced at least one with a new one while I was there. There are very few stick built houses on the rez and no apartment buildings like you might see in PHX. Most people living on the Rez live in modular houses or trailers.

This is a job that is not for many many pilots. Not only are you living in a remote area but you are doing much of your flying in a non radar VFR environment with no approaches and no weather reporting. I was never asked to do anything I thought was unsafe and I turned down many flights because of the weather.

This is a quality of life job, I cannot emphasize enough how one person may call it a crappy job while another may love it. People that want to fly in Alaska, like to hunt and fish, explore, hike, and arent into the club scene would probably be the ones that would enjoy this job. Dont go there just thinking its another flying job, its much more than that.

Feel free to ask me about the accident ( I was there at that time) and the incidents, the CAMTS issues and anything else that may seem derogatory about EAM.

Please email me at [email protected] if you want more details or advice on Eagle Air Med.

Last edited:
I had a voicemail from Eagle Air Med in Utah. Anyone have any updates on the previously posted info. Heard there are some Wyoming bases now?​

I had a voicemail from Eagle Air Med in Utah. Anyone have any updates on the previously posted info. Heard there are some Wyoming bases now?​

Apparently they have been buying up competitors lately.

The Wyoming base (RKS) is a new company, Guardian Flight Wyoming, operating under the Scenic Aviation certificate. It goes relatively senior believe it or not. There may be additional WY bases in the future.

I have been at this company for a while, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Great people, good King Air Pay, take call from home, reliable well-equipped (for a medevac king air) planes. Crummy bases, though (except HI)

If you would like some additional info I would happily give it, shoot me a PM.

Flying for Eagle Air Med

I loved the place. But not for the reason people may think. I always wanted to live at Monument Valley and the Lake Powell area. I enjoy exploring old cliff dwellings and finding historic trails. I have a large library of books on the area. Its a hard, desolate area that really is a third-world country all its own. Most people living out of town dont even have electricty or running water! There are no FBO's or hangers and you are on your own to de-ice your plane (by hand, generally scraping), and fuel it. There are no pretty FBO girls on the Rez. Nobody is running out with hot coffee in your MAPCO and a couple bags of ice. There is no weather reporting on most of the Rez airports and no approaches. Its snows there and is cold in the winter.

The company was good to me. The statement that they exaggerate their pay may be due to the fact that the guys I flew with all lived there and they were not "going home" on their days off. Most flew extra as they were there anyway. The average pay then goes up. 20 days a month is what the company asked you to commit to and you could do more if you wanted, no pressure to do so, though. Equipment was late model C90B King Airs and maintenance was good. If I had a problem they were down to Kayenta right away, or I could fly up there, and there was none of this "lets put it off until the next inspection" crap.

Accomodations cannot be rented on the Rez, therefore the company provides your housing for, I think it was, $180 a month, utilities included and half the DSL and DirecTV was paid for. The company cell phone was also included and I could use it for personal use all I wanted. Insurance was good and paid for by the company. I lived in a nice later model modular home, others are not as nice but I know they replaced at least one with a new one while I was there. There are very few stick built houses on the rez and no apartment buildings like you might see in PHX. Most people living on the Rez live in modular houses or trailers.

This is a job that is not for many many pilots. Not only are you living in a remote area but you are doing much of your flying in a non radar VFR environment with no approaches and no weather reporting. I was never asked to do anything I thought was unsafe and I turned down many flights because of the weather.

This is a quality of life job, I cannot emphasize enough how one person may call it a crappy job while another may love it. People that want to fly in Alaska, like to hunt and fish, explore, hike, and arent into the club scene would probably be the ones that would enjoy this job. Dont go there just thinking its another flying job, its much more than that.

Feel free to ask me about the accident ( I was there at that time) and the incidents, the CAMTS issues and anything else that may seem derogatory about EAM.

Please email me at [email protected] if you want more details or advice on Eagle Air Med.

Eagle Air Med was a good place to get a start and move on after getting experience!

Uh, Mins are 3000TT (higher than Delta), so you're going to need to "get a start" somewhere else...
I would definitely agree with you, unless you need some multi-engine turbine or more total time in general.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back