/E or /W

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Consigliere
Interesting question, do we file /E or /W when flying outside of RVSM airspace (i.e within the Continental US, this year)?

501261 said:
Interesting question, do we file /E or /W when flying outside of RVSM airspace (i.e within the Continental US, this year)?
To answer my own question you're better off to file /E (or /F, /G) flying domestically this year. Why? because if you file /W you'll have no problem going into RVSM airspace, but you're not going to get the RNAV SID/STAR that specifically requires /E,/F, or /G. This can be a real pain in the a$$ when your doing 460 knots 40 miles from destination a Center re-routes you to some VOR radial/dme, victor airway crap that essentially overlays the RNAV STAR.

You answered your own question correctly. File the /E ... unless you're going to be flying through Oceanic airspace which is RVSM. During heavy swap nights (IE, tonight) flow reroutes traffic up and down the east coast via offshore radar routes, this is also RVSM airspace (falls under oceanic). The controllers will ask you to verify your equipment status if you are rerouted that way but still show /E, I have noticed more and more that in the remarks section of the flight plan dispatch has been indicating RVSM EQUIPPED to A/C filing /E to make it easier to offer the reroutes.

Something to keep in mind.

Also, I learned that not only does the A/C have to be certified RVSM, but also the crew ... I was not aware of that until recently.

RVSM equiped in the remarks, that's good to know. Thanks.

That was exactly one of the issues I was thinking about using the AR routes during SWAP program times, as some require both RVSM and RNAV capability.

Latest resources

Back