DX JumpSeating TSA/company rules are just a Mess..Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

clr4theapch

Hey all I find myself in a new position where I must return to a commuting lifstyle for a year or so. I have not had to commute since 1998. With that, I have been trying to find the rules that specifically apply or mention dispatchers...

I have seen and heard the horror stories of having to get boarding passes to get through security checkpoints, being in CASS or not...only able to fly in the back and fighting the loads, flight deck if CASS no flight deck even though CASS etc...and of course the age old problem of being included in the Pilots recip agreements....Not to mention dealing with the lovely gate agents that dont even know what a dispatcher is...

Anyway, My question(s) for those of you here with the "current" rules on how we dxers get to work and or home would greatly be appreciated...I just cant seem to find a concise reference source...Our coordinator is somewhat helpful, but there are just to many inconsistancies everywhere..I cant believe this has gotten this bad for us......and it could have a serous effect on me staying in aviation...

We need a concise matrix to refer to for the usual situations like this....
much appreciated...

Last edited:
one question...

are you going to commute on your own airline??

cause if you don't, unless u are gonna commute on WN, good luck!

Current rules are the same as pilots, but we all know that is not what happens in the real world.

1: Your airline must have the agreement with the other. Of course you probably knew that.
2: The airline you want to jumpseat on must allow Dispatchers to jumpseat. Not sure who all don't, but one is Northwest.
3: Now that CASS is up and running, your company has to be in CASS - and include Dispatchers in the CASS database to jumpseat on some other companies. Alaska and Horizon for example: your name has to come up in CASS authorized to jumpseat, even for a seat in the back.
4: Depending on where you want to go, like propsarebest said above, WN seems to be the most friendly.
5: There is no concise anything to follow, for any situation. Every airline has their own rules and sometimes the gate agents make up their own. The majority of pilots will help us Dispatchers out, but I've had a couple deny access until they double check that Dispatchers are actually authorized. Good luck.
6: Drive.

Yuck....OAL is going to hurt....

I was afraid of all this mess...Unfortunately, I will not be able to fly on my airline however I will be able to fly on a mainline/feeder regional combo....

So we all have to get boarding passes to get through security and on to the gates....kind of tough if you have several companies I want to try to get home or to work...

One other BIg problem is the loads into a major resort city..MCO or TPA...alot of pilots live there..and the flights are very full.....this is going to suck, it might even cause a career change....geez

It just does not seem very possible to do this with much success...thanks for the help..any more suggestions would be great....Tks

I worked as a dispatcher in the past. The ADX friendliest airline is United. You can always sit in the back but no jumpseat. I didn't even ask. Commute is going to be difficult with the record load.
Be a pilot; you can jumpseat all you want.
Just kidding.

What a shame....

Its really ashame that the dispatchers have fallen further out of the mainstream since 911. The last time I commuted to a dx job was in 1998 when we could all pretty much fly with anyone anywhere right up front...

I knew it was getting harder, but really, it's just all but impossible now. Dispatchers were usually mentioned in most pilot contracts/ agreements but it seems this may be getting lost as well, I rarely see pilot groups looking out to see that the dispatchers are covered, and I know this was a prevledge and I appreciated it. Unfortunately, it seems this has changed enough now that I may be forced into a career change....

Thanks for the replys...and suggestions...

twabudman said:
JB will let unlimited OAL jumpseaters...pilot/DX/FA.....
they will even let us sit in the FA jumpseat!!!

Southwest too!!!

last time i jumped on them, there was a eagle dispatcher jumping also. He got the F/A jumpseat (ha ha, pays to get there early).

Thanks once again

It seems the main problem we have is moving to a really bad commuting city like MCO....( spouses job relocation, not my idea) the loads there are nearly full according to every person I contacted, even SWA, JB and Airtran....

Compound the problem by having one of the highest residency rates for pilots in the country and there goes all the F/A and flight deck J/S's so I am screwed......My airline does not service this area at all and frankly I am faced with a tough choice.....walk from 10 years of senority or tell the family I'll see ya when I can, I'm staying....dam....

Anyway, thanks for all the good info..the choice is about a month away yet.

Latest resources

Back