DX Career Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky4aviator

I'm looking for some insight, opinions, etc. from those already in the DX profession. I'm currently in the corporate world...have been for 24 years. I've been successful here (6 fig salary) but to put it bluntly, I'm ready for a career change...before I'm too old to make one successfully. I'm a private pilot and have enjoyed flying/aviation for the past 10+ years. Here's my situation...I'm considering walking away from the corporate world, spending the 6 weeks and $$ to get my DX license, and starting a new career as a dispatcher. I feel like I've missed my window to be a career pilot and I don't have the mins anyway. I could handle the HUGE pay cut in the new profession for a while...but not indefinitely. I live in the DFW area and would have my sights set on Eagle and then hopefully a step up to AA after 5 years (?) or so. Any opinions, comments, suggestions, etc. from those of you in the profession?

GO FOR IT!!

however-

Eagle pays crap, and AA won't be hiring for quite a while- they still dispatchers on furlough.

You could always find a cush job dispatching for a corporate operator, there are lots of bizjets in the DFW area.

Generally 25K up to 50K in 10 years if your with the right regional... LCC's like Airtran will get you to the lower $70's by the 15th year...

Dont go into Dispatch if you EVER expect to get back to "6-Figures" there are very few that make that anywhere... Do it because you will be happy dispatching.....good luck

rat hole most of that 6 figure salary, go back and get a degree that you can do something with or learn a trade other than aviation. Unless you just love aviation, this industry is ALWAYS full of uncertain future, pay, and job security. Plus you have to start all over again everytime you get a new job. How many times can one start over in their life? You will soon reach an age and level of family needs that prevent you from being able to move and take the pay cuts so you become trapped and then become bitter because your life is now on the slow track to nowhere. I don't think there are many Dispatchers I currently work with that are willing to put their families through that (again in some cases). It was fine when young and single, but you have to really see what it will do to your spouse and children. It is more than just pay scales as you know by willing to give up a 6 figure salary to start around the mid $ 30's. Is that is what you had in mind by going to Dispatch? If it is then you should go for it. I am already trying to formulate a way out even though I like what I do and who I do it for. If anything happens....bye bye aviation industry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I guess the good part about this decision is that I don't have a spouse or children...so it's just me to worry about. I just know that at age 44, I'm ready to do something new for the last half of my professional career....something I can see myself doing and ENJOYING for the next 20 years.

I'm new to DX and have been at a 121 Sup for a year and can tell you it is a thankless, stressful job. There is pressure on all sides to make things happen that are not physically or operationally possible. There are days when you will wonder what the hell you are doing there for less than $25k a year and there are days when you wouldn't trade it for the world. So far, I've loved the work, so it makes up for the bad stuff in the end.

The real question for someone like me is do I stick in dispatching, or go get current with about 20 more hours of flying and just get hired on with a 121 regional.....that's a huge initial paycut, but do the end rewards (pay wise) exceed the initial sacrifices?

The real question for someone like me is do I stick in dispatching, or go get current with about 20 more hours of flying and just get hired on with a 121 regional.....that's a huge initial paycut, but do the end rewards (pay wise) exceed the initial sacrifices?
BG...you've always come across to me as someone who wants to fly. Get current...take the first job you can find...suck it up long enough to have the hours to get hired at somewhere better...and enjoy it.

Dispatchers are an odd breed...I don't know many people with hardcore aspirations of being a pilot that enjoy dispatching.

BG...you've always come across to me as someone who wants to fly. Get current...take the first job you can find...suck it up long enough to have the hours to get hired at somewhere better...and enjoy it.

Dispatchers are an odd breed...I don't know many people with hardcore aspirations of being a pilot that enjoy dispatching.

Your right about that.. however I lost the abiltity to get a medical as a pilot.. took 5 years away from aviation and became a dispatcher... I still yern for the front seat.... dx is the second best thing if I can get the J/S...

BG... go do the flying gig man, do it while you can... you will never get over this unitl you try.. if you make it, then God bless you and enjoy it, you can always return to the desk.. If you dont try, you will always wonder and hate yourself cuz you didnt step out and risk it... GL

Latest resources

Back