Duty times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Atccfi

So if the new Airbus 380 will be able to do New york to Sidney Australia, how will the flag carriers deal with duty times. If a 3 pilot cockpit can only be on duty for 12hours, will they have to have an extra crew on board? Or just add another pilot and consider it 2 two pilot crews for a total of 16 possible hours? Just curious....

Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!

Remember those slave ships with dozen of oars? You know, like three men to an oar and some thug in the back banging on a drum for cadence...

Just like that.

"YOU. ROW!"

Atccfi said:
So if the new Airbus 380 will be able to do New york to Sidney Australia, how will the flag carriers deal with duty times. If a 3 pilot cockpit can only be on duty for 12hours, will they have to have an extra crew on board? Or just add another pilot and consider it 2 two pilot crews for a total of 16 possible hours? Just curious....

Not sure where you came up with a 12 duty hour limit. FARs for us is two pilots = 16hours duty, three pilots = 16hours duty, four pilots = 20 hours duty.

Junkflyer said:
I think he meant flight hours per day. I also thought the 380 was a two-seater.

So is the MD11. I fly with one F/O, two F/Os or three F/Os depending on the leg. The flight time limit is 16 hours for the four pilot crew.

FoxHunter said:
So is the MD11. I fly with one F/O, two F/Os or three F/Os depending on the leg. The flight time limit is 16 hours for the four pilot crew.

That answered my question... Thanks. And it was flight time, not duty time.

The 777-200LR just went 22:42, so with preflight and postflight that would make just over a 24 hour duty day. I guess they needed at least two complete crews?

Most longer international flights have heavy crews. Nothing like being a cruise captain sitting in first class and watching the plane for a few hours and only making your landings in the sim.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!! question to the poster, I always thought duty times really don't exist in International. the old saying (fly till you die) Heavy crews are common with long flying hours. we know it is not always fun to sit for hours and hours in jets over the international date line, several times in one month.

but that is the reality of international flying. Get some rest when you are done. ( ps in 135, I think you could get really caught on the DUTY HOURS more than the flight time, so watch out) Keep your log book up to date and remember it is your license not someone else's.

MissKittyKat

Latest resources

Back