duty times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

akseiner

I've been getting different answers on flight attendant duty times. I've had fa's tell me they have the exact same as pilot's. I'm talking about FAA, not company or union policies.

16 hour duty day
they can work more than 30 and 7
They can also work more than 8 hours flying.

I've been getting different answers on flight attendant duty times. I've had fa's tell me they have the exact same as pilot's. I'm talking about FAA, not company or union policies.
Read your Friggin manual / ops specs. Standard regs are published in the regs, alternative regs to match up with the pilots are available via Ops Specs.

Bob

Read your Friggin manual / ops specs. Standard regs are published in the regs, alternative regs to match up with the pilots are available via Ops Specs.

Bob

Maybe the guy doesn't work for an airline, and was just looking for an answer from normal people...

-Go stick your head in a urinal and flush!

The pertinent reg is 121.467. There are several significant differences between pilot and flight attendant limitations on duty.

-- The max duty period (without augmenting the flight attendant crew) is 14 hours. There are several provisions where the duty day may be extended to 16, 18, or 20 hours if 1, 2, or 3 additional flight attendants are added to the crew. In the case of the 20 hours duty day, the flight must include at least one leg outside the contiguous 48 states and DC. All this applies to scheduled as duty extending beyond 14 hours due to weather, etc is OK.

-- 9 hours is regular rest regardless of flight hours during a 14 hours duty day but it may be reduced to 8 hours if followed by a compensatory rest period of at least 10 hours to begin no later than 24 hours from the beginning of the reduced rest period (that sounds familiar).

-- The minimum rest following extended duty day periods is 12 hours before the next duty period.

-- I saw no daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly maximum flight time limits.

Bob

Definitely not going to find the answer in my friggin pilot's manual.

Thanks to everyone who actually gave answers. Now I can call fa's out when they lie to me about their duty times.

It depends on the carrier. For domestic service each carrier has its choice of which reg it uses to schedule FA's. A carrier can use 121.467 or 121.471. The election is a one time election. A carrier cannot use 467 one month and 471 the next. The regs, and the case law around them, are very different. Most pilots have no training and no clue how to use 121.467. That reg is much more liberal concerning block hours but more limiting concerning duty hours and rest than the pilot regs.

If a carrier does not use common crew trips the FA's are usually scheduled following 121.467. If a carrier uses common crew trips it is a mixed bag. Some use 467, some use 471.

It depends on the carrier. For domestic service each carrier has its choice of which reg it uses to schedule FA's. A carrier can use 121.467 or 121.471. The election is a one time election. A carrier cannot use 467 one month and 471 the next.
I see this (use of 121.471 for flight attendant limitations) is provided for in 121,467c. In that case, the answer that flight attendant limits are the same as pilot limits is correct.

Latest resources

Back