Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Northern Lights

Has anyone ever flown into Dutch Harbor, AK ?

I remember seeing a Discovery Channel special on bush pilots, and they were showing an Alaska Airlines 737 landing and taking off from this airport. Looks like a real challenge, with only 3900 feet and major terrain on each end!

The pilot did a great job, touching down on the numbers, and then doing a 180 at the end to get back to the terminal.

I have flown a 737 into DUT many times. Some days it can be truly exhilarating (when the weather is "good"....a relative term at DUT), and other days it can be extremely challenging.

You mentioned the pilot "landing on the numbers". With a 3900 foot runway, you have to land on the numbers. If, at the 1000' marker, you are not exactly on speed and profile, then you go around. There is no trying to "salvage" a landing at DUT. You are spring loaded to go-around. If all is perfect at the 1000' marker, you land.

When I was going in there, the approach was an NDB/DME approach. Basically, it got you down to visual conditions 6 miles from the airport, where you picked up visual cues and circled left or right around the hill to pick up the airport and the VASI.

Lots of fun, really. Great flying.

Sounds really interesting. I'd love to sit in the jump seat going in there.

here are a couple of other pics I found. LINK

I guess that I must be a little bored an looking for an adventure!

Better hurry

If you want to ride in a jet to DUT, you better hurry.
Alaska Airlines will do its last flight into DUT on 1/25/04.
The route was deemed undesirable by our management and they gave it to PenAir, who will provide service in a Saab 340.

The Discovery channel did a great job on filming our operations out there. The Captain filmed on that flight is still in ANC, still flying the line. I've always wanted to get a copy of that show, but can't seem to find any way to get it from Discovery. Anyone know how?

Merry Christmas to all!

Saw the same show just this past week...incredible. The strip that is by his summer cabin was pretty incredible too!!
Not sure how you could get a copy of that program...maybe go online and if they don't offer it, give someone an email/call to see if they could direct you so someone who could help you out.

Of course it is paved now and they blasted the cliff back on the approach end of rw12. 3900' of gravel made it that much more interesting in the 737. At 4 miles on the NDB/DME C and 600' circling for rw30 was always my favorite especially in Jan. at civil twilight.....................

wow... that airport is surrounded by death. think they should stick a statue of the grim reaper at the threshold

here is discoverys corp info.
One Discovery Place
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Tel: 240-662-2000
give them a call and mention the show and that you are a pilot , mention the airline. you might get a free copy.
good luck!

Thanks!

I've sent them emails in the past with no luck, I will try the mailing address this time. Thanks, and HO-HO-HO!

I flew in there many times in the C130 and I will have to agree with Dogg the real challenge is flying the NDB and then circling in the bowl to land on runway 30. Whenever I went in there there was always a Coast Guard Cutter or some other ship with tall masts sitting at the end of the runway which makes it difficult to land on the numbers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back