Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dumbest thing you've EVER done in an airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also flew an "in-trail" ILS with an E-3 into Tinker when the weather was 700-2. It was the ONLY patch of weather in the entire midwest, and I was doing a gas n go to Hill single ship. Got to the jet and realized my High book for OK was missing. Thought, what the hell, it's VFR and I won't need it. Called Barksdale metro enroute and immediately thought "S***." Throttled back and got to OK city approach and told 'em I needed to hold out east for a minute. Finally saw an E-3 out there and asked 'em "hey, is that E-3 on final for 17?" "Yup." "Okay, I'm ready and I'll follow him in!"

Now, I'd been to Tinker many, many times in the past. Didn't have the gas to go to Altus or anywhere else. I felt safe, but it was dumb. Worked out like a champ, though. On Albie's advice, I didn't share that story in my Fedex interview!

Last edited:
TonyC said:
The dumbest thing would be talking about it here.

:)

Just what I was thinking, why post it here, keep them to yourselves. It may come back and haunt you in the future...

Flew through two lines of +TS spanning Mexico - Canada. Got my a$$ kicked......Been a while since I had seen the women so I had to go through it. Dead leg.......anyways. An unnamed approach control, "um, approach, you still there, its pretty quiet?" "yeah, we are here, your the only dumb a$$ that flew through that. Even the line guy at the airport was shaking his head when I landed.

Fury220 said:
...trusting ATL Center that he had "nothing on his scope for the next 100 miles" and flying into IMC when I *KNEW* there were imbedded boomers. (rookie mistake)

Yep. Salt Lake Center did the same thing to me one morning a year ago.

Cruising along in the Bonanza and I could see we'd be skimming through the tops of a residual thunderstorm from the night before.

SLC said nothing ominous ahead and 50 miles beyond that was clear, VFR....

10 min. into it, we were getting our teeth shaken out of our mouths, rain hitting the windshield so hard, it drowned out the engine noise.

Thankfully, he was accomodating in giving us an immediate 180, lest I declare an emergency and ruin his whole morning.

I fly with an Avidyne EX500, with satellite wx now and make up my own mind....well worth the $600/year, even if it is for once or twice a year.

Pushed forward on the stick just a little too much in the top of an aileron roll in a T-6. I will NEVER do that again.

OH Yeah, I almost forgot. I damn near went to work for a commuter airline once.

Now that was scary!!!!

You mean dumb things like being a 21 y/o kid flying under power lines, down slot canyons, 5' off the ground chasing antelope,...

Not dumb if you're getting paid to do it.

That justifies everything.

Latest resources

Back