• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dumb or desperate.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Id say a high combination of both!! Desperate times call for stupid decisions!

Lets say he somehow manages not to get crushed by the landing gear during retraction, wears a parka so he doesn't freeze to death, and carries 12 hours of oxygen so he can breath. How exactly is he going to hold on during landing, and if he manages to do that how does he plan on exiting the airplane grounds without anyone checking for a SIDA badge? These are pressing questions. I wish one of these guys would survive so they could tell me.

Didn't Frank Abagnale escape from an airliner though the wheel well?

Last edited:
The body appeared to be male, based on the clothing, San Francisco International Airport spokesman Mike McCarron said.
He said the person apparently had crawled inside the nose gear's housing intentionally, suggesting an attempted stowaway. It's been attempted before, he said, "but it's never been successful."
"At altitude, there's no air to breathe and it's maybe minus-40 degrees for 12 hours," McCarron said. "You can't survive."

I wish Mike McCarron had done some research before making a bold statement. It was successfully attempted by an Indian dude on a BA 747 few years ago. He was dazed, but made through the 9 or 10 hour flight from India to LHR.

However, it’s generally agreed that the extreme temperatures won’t allow most humans to survive. If I recall correctly, that Indian dude was stowed in there with another guy whose body was crushed when the wheels came up and it fell out on a five mile final or so to LHR runway when the 74 landing gear came down.

Latest resources

Back