Dudes who wear boots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DBacks

Anyone know who makes a decent pair of "Roper" style boots that WON'T set off the d@mn metal detectors? I used to wear Ariats, but got sick of having to undress everytime I went thru secutiry. Thanks.

When I bought my latest new pair of Ropers a couple of months ago, I had a cobbler put good soles on them and while doing that I had him take the steel shanks out and put in fiberglass shanks. I think the shank replacement cost about 10 or 15 bones. the new soles cost around 50 or so. Money well spent I think...my last pair of boots lasted about 4 years. 160 clams over 4 years aint too bad to be able to walk thru the metal detector with out haveing to get naked!

After lots of research and a call to Jutin, I found the ticket. I purchased them a few months ago and they are great.

Model 3170 Justin Roper. It is made with a fiberglass shank. Cavenders carries them for about $110.00. Never set of the darn metal detector again.

Click here for the info

Wow!!! very cool.

I had called justin a year or so ago asking about that very thing and they did not have them. I told all my buddies to call and request them. Maybe they caved to popular demand. Hope they still have them in 3 or 4 years when I need a new pair!

According to the woman at Justin, they were getting so many call from "pilots who couldn't get through security" that they started putting fiberglass shanks in their most popular Roper. Apparently they have gone over well with the law enforcement types as well.

I've had my Justin's for years and they never set off security.... I think the key is to get the rubber sole vs. the leather sole (which, IMHO is better for flying, esp in the wintertime with deice fluid, etc..)

Whats the current exchange rate between clams and US Dollars and also bones into US Dollars?

Ahhh....clams must be converted into bones prior to converting to dollars (unless they are of the bearded variety, they can be converted directly to dollars.) 1 bone equals 1 dollar. 1 clam equals 1 bone. not easy for folk like me, but maybe for you, easier.

and one clam goes into a dollar one time . . . . and one bone goes into a bearded clam . . . . uh, maybe on another board!

Anyone believe Justin Boots is owned by Warren Buffett? Now those are some classy boots!

joe

Latest resources

Back