Dubrovnik?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

My wife and I (no kids) will be spending a fews days in Dubrovnik, Croatia next week. Taking a ferry over from Bari, Italy.

Anyone been there? Any suggestions on things to do or see would be greatly appreciated.

Dubrovnik is one of the coolest cities around. While it is on the coast, keep in mind that beaches in the area are mostly nothing but rock. However, if it is warm enough, there are some great areas for jumping off of 10 to 40 foot cliffs on the island of Lokrum. I highly recommend going to Lokrum, as it is a national park with walking trails, swimming, a pretty good restaurant, and a 12th century monastery that the Habsburgs(sp?) converted into a summer residence. You can get a ferry there for a couple of bucks from the harbor. If you can, you will definately want to stay in the walled city. The hotel Starigrad is a great place to stay, but is very small. There are great places to eat if you like seafood, which is the specialty of Dalmation cooking. If you don't like seafood, there isn't a whole lot else out there. Pretty much all of the cafe type places in the city are identical, with nearly identical menus and service.
The fortress Lovrijenac is also a must see, it was the primary defense of the city for centuries and has a commanding view of the coastline and the city.
Have fun over there, it's a great town

Thanks for the great advice so far. I think it will not be warm enough to swim next week, and we don't care about it that much anyway. We are much more interested in the historical and cultural things to see and do. And, if they have good seafood, that's all we need.

Any other advice?

Last edited:
KC,

I have distant relatives in Dubrovnik. Let me do some research in the next couple of days and I will get back to you. I have heard all good things about this city.

JD

Also, I'm wondering if I would need a car in Dubrovnik -- we can take one across on the ferry with us. But, if a car won't be necessary, we'll avoid the extra ferry charges and leave it in Italy.

I would leave the car behind. Most of the things you will want to see/do are in the walled city, which is really fairly small and easily walked. Plus, cars aren't allowed in there most of the time, except for deliveries. It is an amazing hassle finding a parking spot anywhere near where you will want to be. There are ferries to the nearby islands, and a lot of taxis for the odd trip outside the walls.

Latest resources

Back