• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Duane Worth Cashes in on B6

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fair point dan roman, however, the true question remains; for all the good ALPA has done, does it outweigh all the bad it has done??

case in point:

A. ALPA'S influence when selecting new CEO'S. i.e. UNITED
B. selecting certain MEC CHAIRMEN for contract negotiations.
C. maintaining a metality of "industry leading" when negotiating future contracts, knowing full well company revenue could not support such contracts. i.e. DELTA

whoever writes a book on the current fiscal mess this industry is in, it will very interesting to read how much ALPA (as well as the other unions) paid a part in its downfall.......

jbucpt said:
when negotiating future contracts, knowing full well company revenue could not support such contracts. i.e. DELTA

whoever writes a book on the current fiscal mess this industry is in, it will very interesting to read how much ALPA (as well as the other unions) paid a part in its downfall.......

Good point, you will not hear to many people admit to this, but, I am quite confident, that your comment will be the fuel for some flamebait, & to me for agreeing with you....

I wonder if there are some of those Delta + 1 bumper stickers still out there floating around?

I'm not blindly pro ALPA, they should and often do learn from their mistakes. Just like any good pilot. I also think Rick Dubinsky has been as big a threat to our profession as Frank Lorenzo. Just like business's, their are smart and competant leaders in unions and their are greedy arrogant ones too. I flew for for PEX before Hawaiian, I'm the last guy to throw stones at you guys just because your non-union. Looks to me like Jet Blue is doing a great job and no your not "bringing down the Profession". Your an airline that is succeding because your making some good choices, period. Your pilots seem happy and your growing. Pretty good considering the circumstance of this industry. If the Delta pilots had been more proactive in preserving their company rather than short sightingly just tried to preserve jobs and max salary, I think they would have been in a better place than they are now and saved more jobs. Perhaps their problems are deeper than that, but it seems to me a different approach could have helped. Or it may be they had no other choice, as I'm really not one to judge other pilot groups from afar.BTW, what a joke when anyone compares Jet Blue to PEX. About the only thing you have in common is a hub in the NY area. You guys are way better than PEX was in to many ways to list and a completly different airline.

"You guys are way better than PEX was in to many ways to list and a completly different airline".

Thank you :)

ALPA deserves credit for its historical role in Air Safety improvements too numerous to list. No one will deny this. However when it comes to political and economical arenas, here's the problem:

• The old, “I got mine, you’ll get yours one day” attitude still prevails at the National Level.
  • ALPA still can’t see past last week. They continue to miss the ball on a constantly changing industry (modern day problem: Regional Jets and Scope yesterdays problem: 3rd crew compliment).
  • ALPA has alienated themselves from key Congressional Lawmakers by their strict party line support of the Democratic Party.
  • ALPA has continuously tried to toe the Union party line with a membership that is 180 degrees from the average steel mill worker or truck driver.
  • ALPA has completely and totally failed to rally and unify Pilots across all sectors of the industry in support of a standard compensation scale or a standard of living.
While I do believe ALPA will exist in years to come, I don’t believe it will look the same, and several Airlines who are members now, won’t be.

Latest resources

Back