Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Fact is that Beringer brakes with 6 inch wheels on 31 inch bush tires are severely lacking. Granted, in most cases we don't use brakes but when you have to stand on them at runup just to keep from rolling, that's not good. Beringer wheels look amazing and they are light, maintenance is easy with the setup, but again the braking action underperforms.

In talking to Beringer at EAA AirVenture 2023 they explained how due to the CubCrafters rudder pedal design they can't use the proper master cylinder and instead use a smaller one. Supposedly a new rudder pedal design is in the works but the fix to the problem is a dual caliper upgrade. The cost is about $1K and the install is not difficult, it took about an hour per side. You'll need the Beringer bleed kit to easily bleed the brakes when done.

The braking action is amazing but not unsafe as you may be concerned about. Steering is so much easier with differential braking when the brakes work as they should, runup is easy, and braking action is there if you need it whether to hold your tail up or if you want to compete in STOL competitions, etc. They are extremely effective, I inadvertently tapped my brakes on landing last night and it got my attention, yes, they work!

dual-caliper-left.jpg

Attachments

• Dual caliper upgrade.PDF
    179.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
After several flights with the Beringer dual caliper setup my opinion is:
  1. CubCrafters should REQUIRE dual caliper brakes when the customer chooses 31 inch bush tires. Single calipers are NOT the proper match for that tire size on 6 inch wheels/brakes
  2. In the past I can now say it felt like I was taxiing with two flat tires compared to what I know now
  3. Taxiing is so much better with proper brakes. Steering is so much easier, braking is what it should be, etc. etc.
If you have Beringer brakes and you're using single caliper on 31 inch bush tires, I highly recommend you consider ordering the dual caliper upgrade.

Latest resources

Back