Du Page initial 135 PIC checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gutenberg

I'm taking my initial PIC ride with the friendly folks at the Du page FSDO shortly. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? (Other than get off the internet and study).

-Sincerely, Gutenberg

I hope you aren't going tomorrow, its gonna be 100+ minimum they say (Thats hot for West Chicago.)

Good luck.

Know your ops specs inside and out. Can I take a guess that you have been working at Windy City Flyers?

Yes you may

Correct-a-mundo, as Samuel L. Jackson would say (Jules). It would seem you're not guessing.

-andy

Gutenberg said:
Correct-a-mundo, as Samuel L. Jackson would say (Jules). It would seem you're not guessing.

-andy

;) What type of 135 are you checking out for? Is it for the Cirrus'? By the way if you fly with Dan Coleman, he is a very laid back inspector, but make sure to take everything you need to prove airworthiness of the airplane, and as I mentioned know those regs and specs!

Baron. Its a 1991, with (o my gad- Air conditioning!) Its Oscar Bocanegra. Seems like a nice guy, he called me up to discuss the ride and we went over how we were gong to "feather" engines and other safety stuff. Seems like there won't be any surprises.

A couple of points. First YOU are the PIC, not the inspector. If you have a safety concern,discuss it with him before you do it. In Part 23 aircraft like the Baron, every FSDO I have dealt with, pulls the engine back slowly, with the throttle around 500 AGL. In the FAA's own training material for their inspectors, Oklahoma City actively Discourages the pulling of the mixture. For good reason.

Next Be comfortable with the Operations Manual including the Ops Specs. Know how to do the flight log, how to write up a mechanical, how it is suppose to be clared, how to use the MEL. Know who the required managemet personnel are. As for Op Specs. Know the items you use every day. Weather, alternate minimums and no alternate, fuel requirements, approved approaches, etc. You will be expected to know that. Stuff you do not use every day, like lower than standard takeoff minimums, eligible on demand flight crew and so on, you will be expected to know where to find them. Section A is general, Section B is enroute, Section C is approach, Section D is Maintenance and Section E is weight and Balance. Since you are in a Baron, I am assuming this ride is single pilot. So I wouldn't worry too much about Section E as that applies to aircraft with 10 or more passenger seats and have an approved weight and balance program. You also are not able to use lower than standard take off minimums.

If you do not know the answer, them the inspector you do not know. Then tell him where you would look for the answer. They like that. They do not expect you to know everything. Give them just the information they ask for and move on. No BS, etc.

Good luck.

Rick:

Excellent advice. I think that applies to all FSDO's. Just about every inspector realizes that this check is for THE job. (not some wippersnapper that thinks he is god's-gift-to-aviation-CFI-at 250.) They expect you to be ready for it, and want you to get it.

Thanks guys. The ride is tomorrow at 8. If all goes well, there should be some glenflivvet in my future too.

One more piece of advice, if I may,,,, save all your checkride forms. If your present employer goes out of business, you may not be able to to show other employers that you have experience.

Best of luck,,,, and stay out of my way! I blow the horn once, then I'm comin' through!!

Latest resources

Back