• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Drunk Astronauts!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I posted the same thing in a different section....strapping on a couple of those SRB's plus a big red tank of Hydrogen and LOX, etc...I think I'd want to be a bit stoked...esp if I was just dead-weight on the way upstairs...

I'd just want the commander sober..since s/he has to rotate the ABORT KNOB!

I think the issue has to due with flying the T-38 not the shuttle.

below is "joe's" exp with this stuff:

Back in Joe's senior year in college Joe was instructing on a military reserve base and an F-15E crew from SJ broke down there on a fri afternoon. They were hanging out in the local A-10 units bar when Joe came across them trying to figure out what to do in the PHL suburbs for the night until parts could be driven up fron NC the next day. Joe was headed back to campus and sorta joking Joe told them they could join Joe as Joe's fraternity was throwing your typical pre sat football game drunkfest party and that Joe could have them back the next day as Joe had students in the morning (how fregging stupid was Joe back then to give up sat pregame tailgates to go build flight time).

Well needless to say Fish and Sly (Joe believes thoes were their names) had a very good time reliving their college past and by daybreak the backseater and Joe poured the front seater into Joe's car for the 45 min drive back to the base. It was a non drill weekend so after stopping by base ops to file back to SJ and get wx Joe was able to drive them right out on the flightline next to their fixed jet. After the backseater gave Joe the patch off his shoulder and a nice set of gloves (which Joe still has today) for showing them a good time, Joe (Joe/ground crew/and backseat) helped Mr frontseater into the aircraft. Somewhere around this time Joe recalls mr frontseater telling mr backseater that he (the backseater) was flying all the way back to NC. Joes not sure how much the backseat guy can do wrt engine start, pretaxi, taxi, before takeoff but Joe can't remember the frontseater's head/helmet moving from the side of the canopy until it they crossed the hoild short line for takeoff.

Yeah, I posted the same thing in a different section....strapping on a couple of those SRB's plus a big red tank of Hydrogen and LOX, etc...I think I'd want to be a bit stoked...esp if I was just dead-weight on the way upstairs...

I'd just want the commander sober..since s/he has to rotate the ABORT KNOB!

You can't rotate your own knob inebriated?

I don't know why this is news. Anyone ever read The Right Stuff (actual book, not the movie) Those test pilot guys partied like rock stars. Come to think of it, so do I! (always within the bounds of the FAA, SOP, and The lord baby jesus!!)

Latest resources

Back