• Drop ALPA and form new Union

Votes: 45 45.9%
  • Keep ALPA

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Do not care which union you are in

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

BE90CPT

I have heard several pilots that fly for airlines that have ALPA representation voice their opinion to start their own union. I believe their is an easier solution. Join the Teamsters Union. They already represent Chautauqua Airlines so they are already aware of the issues faced by commuter airlines.

I think that seperation from ALPA by regional airline pilots is a must. It has become impossible for ALPA to represent both the Major airlines and Regional airlines effectively. They cannot responsibly look out for the best interest of all pilots in the current climate within the airline community.

A time has come for change.

What would you be willing to do:

1. Drop ALPA and join the TEAMSTERS
2. Drop ALPA and form own union
3. Keep ALPA
4. Don't care which union

The Teamsters have been indicted and investigated sooooo many times, I can't see a professional pilot organization benefitting from associating with these types.

ALPA may be inept, or even hostile, but they are not aligned with known criminals.

No thanks.

Homer Jay said:
Are you kidding me? Great Lakes is also represented by the TEAMSTERS. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but they still have to be better than ALPA right?

What was the last thing ALPA did that helped the Regionals? J4J's ??? lol what a joke

I could write a book on why not to choose the Teamsters. You know what happens when we file grievances? NOTHING! Over September 11th, Great Lakes reduced our guarantee because they said we we're "temporarily" furloughed. Well, how could I be furloughed if I'm sitting in a hotel room for almost a week waiting to get the plane back. You would think that would be an easy grievance to resolve. You know what happened? NOTHING!! I do feel that we need a regional pilot's union, but trust me, the teamsters are NOT the answer! If you want more examples of the Teamster's ineptitude, I've got plenty more!

A Regional Pilots union is about the only hope we have of someday having:
1) An (regional) industry-wide seniority list.
2) An across the board pattern contract that is safe, livable, and standard.
3) The ability to sleep at night knowing your contract isn't about to be whipsawed.
4) Someone coming in at the last moment to take your job. (J4J)

The only problems are

A) As long as one large regional is outside the tent, a level of jeopardy remains.
B) Some people will do anything to be regional airline pilots
C) Management will do anything to stop it.

Just my two cents

Ace

i have worked for carriers represented by both. Teamsters are inept at representing airlines. ALPA does a much, much better job, but as many others have said, they do have a big conflict of interest trying to represent major and regional carriers.

Maybe the answer is a new union dedicated to representing regional and national carriers.

I was a Teamster at another airline, and would never go back to that union. For all of the problems we have at ALPA, it is still the best thing going for pilots.

Listen guys,

If you want to work at a regional for the rest of your career then by all means form a separate union. But if your like most of us and have hopes of flying for a major then do what really needs to be done.

Change ALPA from the inside. Belive me there are enough people to do it. All it takes is one good plan and a few sacrifices.

In order to preserve the major jobs that we want the change has to happen from the INSIDE. Those major jobs are going away guicker than I can type and when they do come back the pay just isn't gonna be there, which is why action is needed now. Action from the inside.

At the present rate of growth in regional and national airlines, and the shrinking of the former major carriers, ALPA will soon be controled by the regional and national airline pilots. Why leave ALPA to form a regional airline, when ALPA will soon be a regional airline controled union.

You must be joking...

Be90,

You are kidding, right?

Latest resources

Back