• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Driving through the Rockies... I-70

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, that's a tough one. I've done 'em both . . . to/from Vegas, as a matter of fact. 40's reliably clear but, having lived in Summit County (Breckenridge) and Denver, just thinking about 70 practically brings a tear to my eye now that I'm sentenced to NE Ohio! BTW, my map software shows about 200 miles difference between the routes (40's shorter) if you're going to ATL or MCO. If it's CVG, 70's gotta be shorter.

LAS to CVG is 1976 miles taking I-70 and 1988 using I-40. I took 40 when we moved here from Maine, and it's a very boring drive. I think it was worse than I-10 from LA to FL..

As long as the weather looks ok on Thursday and Friday, I'll take 70. I'll be able to make Denver in one day easy..

Friday PM could yield some snow, theyre calling for rain down here and normally the storms come from the west. It normally takes about 3-4 hours from Grand Junction-Denver, I did it in a little under 3 in october. If you can get to Grand Junction by say noon Friday I dont think there will be an issue. You wanna be in/through denver by 4pm if possible, Friday night rush hour is insane.

chperplt,
What kind of vehicle are you driving and is it a 4X4/AWD? I never go up there with anything but my Jeep 4x4, even in the summer. The drive is scenic, and you shouldnt get to much skier traffic.

I'd recommend taking some stops along the way, its so scenic.

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix... If I leave home on time, I should be in Denver no later than 10pm on Thursday.

Just East of Grand Junction is one of the coolest turns and twists on an interstate in America. Enjoy.
But do NOT go west to east on Sunday or east to west on Friday from Aspen to Denver. It's insane bumper to bumper skiiers.

Ya, that reminds me of another thing. If you have a radar detector, have it on. Normally the Colorado State Patrol is pretty cool if you only do 5mph over, any more is pushing it. I've been pulled over 2 times by them and they are some of the rudest cops, so beware.

D@mn I miss the Outback at Keystone... Some of the best powder in those bowls/runs known to man.-

ahh... the memories:D

3 5 0

Yeah, 350, this thread's killing me, too! I experienced the most incredible combination of fear and excitement in "The Fingers", on the backside of A' Basin. Four narrow rock chutes that dump you into the valley heading back down to Keystone . . . you have to hitchhike back up to the Basin. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it! I used to deliver pizzas at night & ski all day . . . a hard life to move away from, even for this career!

Latest resources

Back