Drinking policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

viper03

Management just changed our policy to zero alcohol, no drinking, while on the road. Apparently they want to be able to dispatch an aircraft at the drop of a hat, and not have to wait 8 hours for the pilots to "sober up."

They claim, "a lot of departments are doing this now." I have a hard time believing this. I'm interested to hear other companies policy on this...please share.

Thanks

miller time

after 1700 lcl we can turn it up. I actually got a call I wish I could have taken to help out one of our people whose wife was having medical problems, but rules are rules.

Current employer used to be 12 hours prior to flight time, now 12 hours prior to duty time but we have regulatory rest periods due to 91K. One Part 91 contract customer is FAA 8 hours, another is 12 hours prior to flight, and yet another is no alcohol from 12 hours prior through the end of the trip even if it lasts for weeks.

And Rez, I'll take corporate and fractional flying over crowd killer flying anyday and twice on Sunday. And I say that as the spouse of a major airline pilot and (once, way back when) proud ALPA member.

Management just changed our policy to zero alcohol, no drinking, while on the road. Apparently they want to be able to dispatch an aircraft at the drop of a hat, and not have to wait 8 hours for the pilots to "sober up."

They claim, "a lot of departments are doing this now." I have a hard time believing this. I'm interested to hear other companies policy on this...please share.

Thanks

I have seen it done both ways. Not sure about the statement " a lot of departments are doing this now" as other than your department and one of my previous departments, I had not heard or seen of this before. The department that I worked for that had used this as a policy, inturn had an owner that would call up in the middle of the night and ask that the airplane be sent to pick up some lady friends. Can't imagine why anyone would behave like that. could you?

Current policy is 12 hours before flight and don't start drinking before....1800, I think. Maybe it 1700. Oh well.

If a passenger (or a pilot for that matter) has an emergency with a sick or injured family member, they will never forget you if you can get them home. I know this from experience. I suspect that if you were unable to launch because of drinking, they would never forget you for that either.

Why no alcohol on the road? What about while sitting at home? What's the difference if scheduling wants to immediately dispatch an airplane from home base or one currently flying a trip?

I've heard of some flight departments not allowing ANY alcohol drinking before 4pm, whether a pilot is at home or 'on the road.' This allows pilots the freedom to enjoy a beer at dinner.

I'm interested to hear other companies policy on this...please share.

We follow the basic 8 hour rule. Other than this hard rule, our pilots use their best judgement to decide when and when not to drink. I've been with my company for 10 months and have yet to hear any alcohol issues arise.

When assigned at Andrews AFB the drinking policy varied with the passengers. For the horse holders, alcohol consumption was prohibited 12 hours before flight. For the big dogs, it was 12 hours before flight until end - of - mission back at Andrews.

At my current company the ops manual says no imbibing 12 hours before flight.

If you think about it, there is a point at which, if having a Grey Goose martini didn't keep you from flying, being out of crew day would.

GV

If a passenger (or a pilot for that matter) has an emergency with a sick or injured family member, they will never forget you if you can get them home. I know this from experience. I suspect that if you were unable to launch because of drinking, they would never forget you for that either.

i see your point but what is the difference if the pilots are fatigued?

just say they fly 10 hours and are in the hotel about to go to sleep after a 15 hour duty day. now CEO bob schmuck wants you to fly him back home cause his wife stubbed her toe. you think this would be any safer if they had flown 2 hours and had one beer each. required rest should be required!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back