• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Drawing Unemployment Pay

BeeVee

Total Time
6000+
Does anyone know if you are allowed to draw unemployment pay, while looking for a job, after retiring from the military?
It seems unlikely (since you'd be getting a retirement check), but I seem to remember hearing you could?
Thanks.
BeeVee

Caveman

Grandpa
Total Time
11000+
Immediately after retiring, no. However, when I was furloughed I drew unemployment from California and my military retirement check wasn't an issue.

BeeVee

Total Time
6000+
No question, I am going to be looking for a job (as indicated in my original thread), but with the wife at home/kids, etc. looking at all the financial options to "bridge the gap"...

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
Not military, but did take unemployment right after 9/11. I received the max, which ain't SXXX. I had to live off my savings to supplement the weekly checks. Back then, the gross was $405 a week and from what I understand, it may not have changed much.

Vandal

Total Time
Ever since that scene in Cinderella man where he paid back all the unenployment he drew I have never considered it...who needs handouts??

lowtimedriver

Marmott Stalker
Total Time
4-Life
Ever since that scene in Cinderella man where he paid back all the unenployment he drew I have never considered it...who needs handouts??
Our country has gone from a bunch of hard workers to a country of gimme free stuff, corporations included.

Be 23

Total Time
I was told during the transition assistance program in Texas that we could get unemployment for the time between retirement day and first retirement check. Apparently, using TX government math it works out to two months unemployment for 32 days. I considered it because the AF was kicking me out and TX would bill the AF for the money.

I eventually retired in Colorado (on my own terms and schedule) where the math works out to $0. Your mileage may vary.