Douglas SBD Pilot Autobiography???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fearless Tower

Thought I'd try posting this here to see if anyone is familiar with this book.

Many years ago, when I was in high school, I remember reading a book written by a USN SBD Dauntless pilot. The book basically chronicled his experiences flying the dive bomber from ENTERPRISE through the early part of the war. He had documented flying from Big E into Pearl Harbor on the day of the Japanese attack as well additional combat experiences in the opening battles of the war.

Has anyone else read this book, and if so, happen to recall the author or name of the book?

I have never read that book, but Dauntless Helldivers by Dr. Buell is a similar story. http://www.amazon.com/Dauntless-Helldivers-Dive-Bomber-Carrier-Battles/dp/0517577941
He gives great first-hand accounts of flying Dauntless and Helldiver dive bombers throughout the Pacific in WWII.

I'll definitely check out Dr. Buell's book.....someone on another site found what I was looking for. It is:

The flying guns : cockpit record of a naval pilot from Pearl harbor through Midway by Clarence E. Dickinson. It's out of print, but if you ever come across a copy, it is a great read.

Thanks for the info...I always like to read first-hand historical accounts, particularly of WWII combat flying.

Latest resources

Back