• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do's and Donts when ferrying airplanes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Carefully note the color of the airplane before going inside to file a flight plan. Or so I have heard...

The stuff above about airworthiness is right on. You will be the most dead if that airplane crashes, remember that.

Dan

Definately don't leave without the logbooks and look at them before you leave. As PIC you are responsible for the aircraft airworthiness. Make sure you have a copy of the pink slip and a letter from the new owner stating that you are moving the aircraft for him and has his permission to move the aircraft from point A to point B. Most FAA guys understand what is going on, but in the new security world, there are many new faces that have no idea what you are doing and have the 'authority' to make you stop. So cover your a$$ and bases.

Check out the paperwork carefully. If it is out of annual or the like, get a ferry permit if you are comfortable. Since you are working directly for the new owner, discuss with him what condition the aircraft is expected to be in and what he would like you to do if it is not.

Personally I would stick with day VFR until I had a better handle on the aircraft. But that also depends on the aircraft type and who had been operating it.

Good luck and have fun.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back