• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dornier 328Jet "Envoy 3"............

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was a company at NBAA last year doing corporate retrofits on the CRJ200. The aircraft uses a lot of runway and is a bit heavy on fuel burn.

I really have nothing to do with the selection process. I was offered a job with this company last year when they were going to get the Legacy. I just spoke to them yesterday asking if I was still available that they were settling on something soon.

I think your choice is excellent in the CRJ-200. Just checked it out, it would be perfect with a corporate interior. I would assume it could seat about 20 in a moderate corporate set-up. Not talking about big giant seats, but nice and comfortable. A max of 20 is what they'd like to carry. Short trips like they're planning on would be quite nice for that plane.

What would one go for $$$???

Fltplan.com has profiles for both the CRJ2 (CL850) and J328; it appears as though the Dornier would burn 800lb less than the CRJ on a TEB-PBI segment and take 25 more minutes to get there.

Sounds like a regular old E135 would do the trick, giving you the seats you need at a higher speed and probably less fuel than the Dorkjet. I also understand there are quite a few E135s from Expressjet and Chautauqua looking for new homes...

It was a fun A/C. Slower than snail snot but fun.

I too had fun flying the Dorkjet. The only airplane that climbs, cruises, and descends at the same airspeed.
I remember panels falling off in the cockpit during the summer due to the heat melting the glue that held them on.

TOGA-TA-10!!

I flew it as CA at ACA.

Pro's:
* Nice avionics package (for 2000-2001) VNAV; vertical profile on HSI display and systems pages on EICAS ...
* Great climber (10,000 fpm sustained if it was light/winter)
* Relatively roomy cockpit
* The most comfortable pax cabin of any RJ.

Con's:
* It broke -- a lot.
* Had a cheap, plastic-and-velcro feel to it, far worse than an Airbus.
* Was a moving roadblock at altitude (one profile had us cruising at .66)
* The packs had a hard timing keeping it cool in the summer
* Noisy cockpit.
* The APU had no auto-fire-fighting feature, thus we could not leaving it running unattended (this is probably a package ACA went cheap with.)

I have found if you keep the curtain and the rear service door closed on the gound it stays very cool. All the ones I have operated that have had good 328 mechanics work on them did not break a lot. It is a slug at altitude but a blast to fly.

I remember panels falling off in the cockpit during the summer due to the heat melting the glue that held them on.

TOGA-TA-10!!

Thats great. Seems like the plane that an owner wishes he never bought....after they buy it.

not to drift but I think there is an FBO out of KCAK that operates them on a 135 certificate- used to do a ton of sport team trips.

I really have nothing to do with the selection process. I was offered a job with this company last year when they were going to get the Legacy. I just spoke to them yesterday asking if I was still available that they were settling on something soon.

I think your choice is excellent in the CRJ-200. Just checked it out, it would be perfect with a corporate interior. I would assume it could seat about 20 in a moderate corporate set-up. Not talking about big giant seats, but nice and comfortable. A max of 20 is what they'd like to carry. Short trips like they're planning on would be quite nice for that plane.

What would one go for $$$???

Check out the Part 125 regs. If you have more than 19 seats, then you will have to operate under a Part 125 letter of compliance. It can take some time to get done if your FSDO doesn't have any experience with Part 125.

When it first came out we saw the mockup at a NBAA Convention. The boss was real impressed with the intial offering price and the size of the cabin. However, after I reasearched the performance we decided against buying it primarily because the slow speed and lack of international range.

It is a darn good looking aircraft.

I flew the 328 at Skyway, flew great, climbed awesome, but speed brake at cruise. Boots for de-ice, I saw a lot of ice in Midwestern winters, no reverse, but good brakes, no speed brakes, definately need to plan the descents, but it will side slip down nice if you need it. Good luck. I know that parts were a little problem toward the end for us??? I don't know how they rectified it or stopped flying them altogether before it got bad.

I currently fly the DO328 jet for Ultimate Jetcharters out of KCAK. Flown it Part 91 and 135. 12 seat Envoy config and standard 30 passenger config. Like any other plane many pro's and con's. Any specific concerns?

Latest resources

Back