• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sydeseet

Huge Member
People,
Just read another post about "Breaking Action" [sic] to which someone answered mentioning a "Light-weight dornier jet" with out reversers.......

I was just wondering if this was true or not. I guess I've never paid enough attention to one to notice, I assumed all new jets came with them. Heck, even a little 12000 lb Citation Jet comes with them, sort of.

Just curious......

P & W 306B's with no thrust reversers.

The inside joke is that the TR's would cause too much stress on the Velcro holding the engine pylons to the wing.

If you've ever seen how much Velcro is inside a Dork, you would laugh.

If there's another Mid-Ex or ACA pilot that wants to confirm.....

Dork Props have Beta and friction locks on their controls. Dork Jets (or Smurf Jets) have nothing!

the avro rj-85 flown by mesaba (among others in various forms) is another large turbine-powered aircraft that does not have reverse thrust...

Just for your info, when I was getting the checkout for the KC-135R (reengined KC-135A) I was shocked to find out that it did not have reversers.

Reason: Somebody decided that they were too maintenance intensive and cost too much.

The Air Force's answer: Just put those improved 5 rotor brakes on 'em.

In the Avro, Vref is about the same as in a small King Air so there's no need for reverse.

It's true no reverse. But really good Carbon Fiber breaks. The are really hard to get smooth with on dry runways. Very grabby. Great in the slush and snow though. Buckets would be comforting on really slick runway but are not really required. Ref is from 99 to 126. The only bad thing is with Cycle Ice Speeds and with a light aircraft it tends to act like a Cessna 172 and ust hang in the air. So you just have to plant it and get the breaks on, so much for passenger comfort. Thats my to cents. By the way, I too have not figured out what the deal is with the German's and that **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ty velcro.

No reverse!

Most (if not all) USAF bombers don't have reversers either...that's why old SAC bases have a minimum of 13500 feet. Or is it because KC-135A models needed ALL that runway to T/O...?

Course, that's not really that much runway if you have to do an aft wing sweep landing in a B-1 (262 KIAS touchdown speed)...

FastCargo

an aft wing sweep landing in a B-1 (262 KIAS touchdown speed)...

That would be funny if it weren't the truth. If you could, elaborate on this procedure. Sounds amazing.

Lift Dump and brakes are all you get in the old Hawkers. Lift Dump takes the flaps from 45 to 75 degrees once you on the ground.

Latest resources

Back