• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
From Washington Post 3 March:

"...CHARLOTTESVILLE, March 2 -- Two hours before her team completed a 69-59 upset of No. 8 North Carolina, Virginia freshman Deidra Chatman became the second college basketball player to protest U.S. foreign policy by turning away from the American flag during the pregame national anthem.

Manhattanville College senior Toni Smith has sparked controversy this season by refusing to acknowledge the flag, and before today's game at University Hall, Chatman followed Smith's lead. Standing in a line with her teammates and coaches in front of their bench as a handful of local girl scouts brought the flag to midcourt, Chatman turned toward the baseline, 90 degrees to her left.

After the win, which cemented Virginia's third-place ACC finish, Chatman explained that she was motivated by her opposition to a potential war with Iraq and by her upbringing as a Jehovah's Witness. She said her mother, Fayette Elliott, does not acknowledge the flag and raised her children to believe they could choose not to as well...."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh the irony; a mimority female attending a taxpayer-subsidized school where she was more than likely admitted through an affirmative action program competing in a sport that wouldn't even exist in a Div I school were it not for Title IX, accepts all of these benefits and then has the audacity to turn her back on her country.

Legal? Yes. Morally reprehensible? Absolutely. Men and women this is wrong. There are other more appropriate methods and forums to register your opposition to your nation's foreign policy without dishonoring our flag and all that it represents.

Sorry to get off-topic but this forum covers a wide latitude. Teach your sons and daughters to always show honor and respect to the flag. Too many have given their lives defending the freedoms it represents to do any less.

I say if you do that cr@p, you get the he!l out of this country. You don't like our flag, we don't like you. And we don't. Man I'd like to get one of these stuck up pieces of cr@p behind a woodshed...

I don't agree with the President's policies either, and would have liked to have joined the protesters in Washington recently. He!! ... I don't even like him as a person.

But the flag of the United States of America represents alot more than the bone-head policies of the current administration. Among other things, honoring the flag is paying tribute to the principles - and those who have fought and died to preserve them - that ALLOW us to protest things like this stupid war. Further, it is rather odd isn't it, that someone who has benefitted so much from her citizenship would do something so grossly disresepctful.

I say revoke her citizenship and send her and Hanoi Jane Fonda to live on a snake farm in China.

Excuse me ... my right wing is sticking out ... and I simply must go to the doctor immediately. :D

Minh

This is ridiculous. Where's the coach? If I were the coach, the players that did that would be benched or kicked off the team. I never played collegiate sports, but I did in High School. My coaches would have throttled me for this crap. There's no excuse for the total lack of respect for the American Flag.

Just my opinion.

who cares. it's a colored piece of cloth. being free means you take the good with the bad, so why get upset about it.

Free Country...

I'm as patriotic as anyone. I think we live in the best country in the world, and I happily pay my taxes and vote in every election so as to keep us as free as possible (yes, how "free" we are is a subject for another debate...and so is the taxation level).

But...

It is my opinion that THE PRIMARY thing that makes this country great (and relatively free) is the ability to speak out against the government without (much) fear of reprisal.

If some moron wants to give up future Wheaties and Nike contracts so they can turn 90 degrees away from the flag...hey, knock yourself out.

...Dave

Latest resources

Back