• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't tell me you do this job for the money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A job is a job is a job, pretty much everyone thinks #$% I gota go to work tomorrow.

Most people realize the grass is not greener on either side. I think many people are having a harder time making those extra sacrifices that go along with the airline career.

Aside, news flash: After first year, money ain't bad, when compared to national per capita. NF2: All people who say they can leave here and 'instantly' make twice what they are making need a reality check. If high pay jobs were so easy to come by, they'd be: low paying or very disrciminant in hiring. No job comes with some sort of sacrifice, a tit-for-tat. While I initially didn't get in it for the money, I can say I'm not leaving for it, until something better comes along. It's called high continuance commitment and I feel very little normative commitment to the company, and only a little affective. Something about the 'task environment' I think we all enjoy, even the the market, and by extension our own businesses, often tip the balance.

The post was really too long to read...

For years I thought flying for an airline was THE dream job. Not so now. If a feller wants to stay married, put the kids through college and not go nuckin futs ...... stay away! To say the least, the future will be interesting. I believe gross mismanagment and insatiable greed are mostly responsible for getting the industry to where it is today. Sadly, quality leadership is hard to find.

Good luck to all those in the crosshairs. For me, I'll keep flying my part time coporate gig and wait for the retirement clock to tick down on my full time job, then maybe things will look better. And maybe the retirement age will be 75. I'll just stow my walker in the jump seat.

I wish it were different as I do really love to fly. This whole thing is a tough nut to crack. Clear Skies All!!

Griff

Speaking as someone who "started all over" and made this a second career....

I don't know if I would do it all over again, but I do know that it's not greener on the other side. At least here when I drop off my kit bag I drop off all my cares and concerns and focus on my friends and family. That's reason enough to stick around and something you can't appreciate if you started out flying as a first career.

thats the key. all these 22 year old wonders, flying is the only job they've ever had. the grass aint always greener. they'll find out though.

I'm a career changer - made it to the regionals in my late twenties. And I want the hell out of this goat rope of an industry. Biggest mistake I've ever made was getting into this. Not all of us who want out have done nothing but fly. Nice assumption, but false nonetheless.

Latest resources

Back