• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Don't Drink The CoolAid!!!

Sedona16

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Posts
564
Total Time
10,400
There may be readers of this page who aren't familiar with the Kool-Aid allusion. Should we let them in on it? Okay, I will. In the 1970s, a failed monkey salesman named Jim Jones found fame and fortune in San Francisco by founding The People's Temple, a more or less common garden variety of cult. In 1978 he persuaded 1,100 members to go with him to Guyana, where the government had given him 300 acres for his new version of The People's Temple. In November he apparently felt trapped by the threat of exposure for the fraud that he was, and for that reason or some other, persuaded 900 members of the cult, including men, women and coerced children, to die by ceremoniously drinking grape Kool-Aid that they knew to be poisoned with Cianide. Kool-Aid is an American product consisting of powdered fruit flavoring and sugar in an envelope, which when mixed with water makes a drinkable beverage. As it happens, the product used by Jim Jones was FlavorAid, a rival of Kool-Aid.
 

MVSW

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2005
Posts
221
Total Time
Growin
So whats you POINT?
 

Thedude

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Posts
1,277
Total Time
8000+
And thats why we say dont drink the kool aid.....newbie
 

Sedona16

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Posts
564
Total Time
10,400
It has to do with correlation and the fact that "Cool-Aid drinking" is referenced on these boards more than almost any other allusion. Some of the younger guys dont know where it comes from. Does that meet the topic Nazzi's requirements?
 

Sedona16

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Posts
564
Total Time
10,400
And if that did'nt do it and you dont know what correlation means let me help with the underlying message: Be careful of what Management tries to feed you.... or in the case of SkyWest Airlines, be careful of what SAPA, the psuedo representative group, tries to feeds you.
 

Huck

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2001
Posts
1,076
Total Time
11,000
Why don't people tell Jim Jones jokes?


The punchlines are too long.
 

Sedona16

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Posts
564
Total Time
10,400
mnalpha said:
Piss-Ant kid that wears his Doc Martins and backpack, who would fly a CRJ "Heavy" for five bucks an hour for the bragging rights.
 

GeneralAv

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Posts
50
Total Time
na
I believe the 'Twinkie Defense' was also related somehow to the Jim Jones thing....used by one of his followers later for murder charges, I think...
 

BankAccount=0$

Just watch and learn kid
Joined
Mar 30, 2003
Posts
308
Total Time
T -10
Sedona16 said:
. As it happens, the product used by Jim Jones was FlavorAid, a rival of Kool-Aid
Does this mean that the Jim Jones followers were like bottom feeders of the spaced out cult industry?? I mean surely a top ranked company like Comair or ExpressJet wouldn't expect employees to drink some cheap imposter of Kool-Aid would they??

Perhaps when interviewing for future jobs it would be wise to check out what brand of "Kool-Aid" the company keeps on hand. I bet the folks at Tab Express bought FlavorAid by the pallet load...........and sadly they had a line of suckers just waiting to fill up their glass.................
 

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Posts
675
Total Time
31Raps
Sedona16 said:
There may be readers of this page who aren't familiar with the Kool-Aid allusion. Should we let them in on it? Okay, I will. In the 1970s, a failed monkey salesman named Jim Jones found fame and fortune in San Francisco by founding The People's Temple, a more or less common garden variety of cult. In 1978 he persuaded 1,100 members to go with him to Guyana, where the government had given him 300 acres for his new version of The People's Temple. In November he apparently felt trapped by the threat of exposure for the fraud that he was, and for that reason or some other, persuaded 900 members of the cult, including men, women and coerced children, to die by ceremoniously drinking grape Kool-Aid that they knew to be poisoned with Cianide. Kool-Aid is an American product consisting of powdered fruit flavoring and sugar in an envelope, which when mixed with water makes a drinkable beverage. As it happens, the product used by Jim Jones was FlavorAid, a rival of Kool-Aid.
They drank Flavoraid, not Kool-aid.
 

OPECJet

1700
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Posts
2,312
Total Time
5K
Flavoraid?!?!?!?!

Cheap b@stard.......
 

bitememesa

Victim of Dante's Inferno
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
50
Total Time
JO+3K
Hey Flavoraid ain't cheap...it's a fcuking dollar a dixie cup on US Airways...
 

Captain Overs

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Posts
875
Total Time
15,000
The "Kool Aid" thing became popular with Eastern Airlines. That's when I first remember people talking about not drinking the company Kool Aid. Now whether Frank Borman made grape flavored Kool Aid is a topic for another board.
 

ORFflyer

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Posts
17
Total Time
4k+
GeneralAv said:
I believe the 'Twinkie Defense' was also related somehow to the Jim Jones thing....used by one of his followers later for murder charges, I think...
Negative, the Twinkie Defense was associated with a disgruntled San Francisco city employee who in 1978 stormed into city hall and murdered S.F.'s mayor, George Moscone, and a supervisor, Harvey Milk. The story was that he tried to beat the murder charge by pleading insanity due to overconsumption of twinkies. Turns out not to be true, check http://www.snopes.com/legal/twinkie.htm
for the full story.
 

GeneralAv

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Posts
50
Total Time
na
Nine days after “Jonestown,” San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk were killed. Both men had received financial support from Jones while he was in San Francisco and were involved in an ongoing investigation into their involvement in the disappearance of People’s Temple funds. Dan White, described as being in a "zombie state" at the time of the killings, murdered them. White’s lawyers attempted to defend their client by stating that White had been temporarily insane due to the effects of eating too much sugar, a defense which was mockingly known as the “Twinkie defense.”
Now I have to go find the source for that.....
 

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Posts
8,573
Total Time
7,000+
Didn't those guys that were supposed to catch a ride on the comet take some cool-aide as well? Remember those guys with the Nike tennis shoes?
 

DX Rick

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Posts
1,622
Total Time
19.7
FN FAL said:
Didn't those guys that were supposed to catch a ride on the comet take some cool-aide as well? Remember those guys with the Nike tennis shoes?
Yes, the comet they were awaiting for, which was bringing thier spaceship, was the Hale-Bopp Comet.

The Spaceship couldn't make the flight, the auto pilot and GPS cannot be defered at the same time on that model of spaceship. Therefore it was cxld, and the passengers were rebooked on SWA.
 
Top