Dominican Republic?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sonic340

Got word from the boss on a probable trip to Dominican Republic coming up and wanted to see if anyone had any info or recommendations. Currently flying a CJ4, single pilot, Part 91 operation. Thanks!

What do you want to know? There are multiple airports in the DR! It would be nice to know what kind of information you are looking for? Overnight tips? Is it information about operating there? Narrow it down so you could be pointed the right way

First time going there and wondering if most people used a flight planning service or if it was a fairly straight forward process, also if the Dominican requires that operators have a SMS in place, if they allow single pilot operations. Thanks.

Get in touch with these folks:

http://www.servair.com.do/en/p/airports/sdq-mdsd

They will help you out with anything you need, weather, flight plans, fuel, anything you need. Remember that if you are going to do any domestic flights in the DR with an "N" registered A/C you will need to file a flight plan even if it is under VFR. As to single pilot ops it is as any other ICAO member state, so the answer is yes. There are a few Dominican pilots in Florida (studying, getting ratings, working in jobs here in the US) if it comes to you wanting somebody to go with you and help you out, let me know, I'll hook you up with a side kick. Haven said that, you won't need it, servair will give you all the help you need.

Hanging out at night in the DR, well it really depends on where you go, if you are going to a resort, you are fine inside the resort no problem, if you go out clubbing or something in Santo Domingo, make sure you consult with a local or go out with a local, it has great night life but it can be dangerous if you don't know what is going on.

Enjoy my neck of the woods dude, let me know if you have anymore questions

Last edited:
I concur. Servair is all over the DR. great FBO chain and very well versed in support. The resort experience is the safest way to stay on the island for a couple of nights and Servair has deals with places close to the airports and can provide the transportation to and from.
Enjoy the great wx and the great lifestyle. I always enjoyed the flying there.

Great info guys! I will check with Servair soon and get the ball rolling. Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to the trip!

Plus communications are all VHF with MIA or Santo Domingo. Just remember to give them both warning calls that your 10 min from crossing the FIR. Study the route chart and use your hilite pen especially since you will be single pilot.

North Shore is by far the best in my opinion. If you like beer, women and warm weather I think you will find it to be a enjoyable RON. Lucky.

The last time I stayed there, we stayed at The Hard Rock resort. It was so-so. But definitely be careful if venturing off the resort area. We didnt have any problems, but the potential for getting into a shady situation is very high.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back