DOJ Criteria for Pass/Denial of Mergers and why DAL/AK Could Be Approved

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To answer your question:
They would determine how many 73 capt positions you bring to the merge.
They would determine how many 73 fo positions you bring to the merge.

They would determine what category this falls into. For example, using the DL/NW logic we would call everything in the system below 757 a narrow body and thus equal to the 73.

They would count the number of New Delta narrow body capt and fo positions.

We will take a totally fictional example.

Alaska Capt 100 New Delta Narrow body Capt 2500

Alaska FO 150 New Delta Narrow body Fo 5000

Ratio 100/2500 = 1/25
Ratio 150/5000 = 1/33.33333

Find the basic seniority number of the guy that could hold #1 narrow body Capt if every pilot in the company bid their most senior seat without reference to base. Then ratio the pilots starting at that seniority number 25 New Delta for every one Alaska until the numbers run out. Then Ratio the FO guys one Alaska for every 33.3 Delta till the numbers run out.

Since this is a totally fictional numbers game do not freak at the ratios that I picked. I simply did not want to spend the time to figure it out correctly.

Slinky

Thanks Slinky. I'm guessing the md, 737, and dc9 probably make up at least 50% of deltas fleet. especially after you through in alaska's 100 or so 737's. so a simple way of looking at it, if that assumption is correct, would be if one were 30% up the alaska list you would be around 15% up delta list.

Last edited:
Thanks Slinky. I'm guessing the md, 737, and dc9 probably make up at least 50% of deltas fleet. especially after you through in alaska's 100 or so 737's. so a simple way of looking at it, if that assumption is correct, would be if one were 30% up the alaska list you would be around 15% up delta list.

I guess... the important thing is that you would all keep your seats. There is a no bump no flush polacy at Delta. You cannot be bid out of your equipment or base unless a displacement bid is announced. That is when someones aircraft or base is changed or canceled. Then those guys can go anywhere in the system that their seniority can hold and the chance exists that someone could get bumped off the bottom of their base/category.

Generally speaking you would have a seniority number that slotted you into where you could hold your present position at this company.

Slinky

The Banana beat me to it, but it bears repeating. You could buy Alaska with Alaska's money.

How many total pilots at AS? And could someone post the retirement #s by year?

We had 1435 active pilots.(Too hard to figure how many gravy sucking day maggots we have. est 100 +) On March 3rd we will have 1286 active pilots....
The published retirement numbers are:
08--32 :17--59 : 26--58
09--40 :18--51 :27--70
10--46 :19--60 :28--56
11--51 :20--58 :29--67
12--49 : 21--53 :30--63
13--45 : 22--77 1282 total
14--49 : 23--56
15--56 :24--76
16--57 : 25--52

Problem is this is not what is happening. About 65 % are going past 60 and that with a fully funded pension. I think if you move all the numbers by three years it comes out about right......

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back