• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Doing the job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been visting this web site for a while and have read alot of threads about being a pilot for the major airline, be it Southwest, Air Tran, and others. Ever since 9/11, how has your careers as pilots changed, or stayed the same? What means did you use to use to get the training to become a pilot? If there were a young person who wanted to pursue a career as an airline pilot, would you support or discourage their decision and why?

This job (it ceased being a career as of 2001) has gone from the biggest hiring boom evar, (of which I rode most of by working 7 days a week while "paying my dues"), to a historic plummet to horrible depths.

I, and most of us, would never have committed to the $ and terrible quality of life required to get your foot in the door at a "legacy" airline.
1) the "legacy" is extinct - no more great pay (but for the bald grey baby boomers), no generous time off, no more respect from any quarters
2) the price to pay play is too great - unsafe working conditions (fatigue & short-sighted management), pay such that you mortgage your present for a non-existant future, overrated flying experience

What do you get at a major? $25,000 to start and a furlough or 3 in your first 10 years.

Means to get into the industry - Aside from the old fashioned CFI/night cargo/regional route, my father's love, hard work and foresight to save for the $100K investment in my 4 yr deg + ratings. He passed away within weeks of me making it to a Part 121 - I hope he felt as proud as I was grateful and fortunate. Massive school loans will place you in a position that you may never get out from under, and will SEVERELY limit your options as far as starting over in a new career!

Recommendations?
I would try not to push someone in either direction as far as a choice of job, but I am sure I would be clearly biased by my own personal experiences. I would say that barring solutions/improvements to certain aspects of the industry,* it is a longshot and a bad investment on paper to begin this journey. The intangibles that are unique to a prospective pile-it would be carrying on a family tradition, overwhelming passion, and a really massive level of tolerance for suffering.

Here is a good indicator - Compare the index funds that track market wide progress like NASQ -QQQ and the DOW etc. with that of the airlines as a whole. Historical ave. earnings in the US market is 8% increase per annum(not this decade!). Airlines, I believe have neither gained, nor lost $ in the entire history since the 1930's. A $1000 investment in 1935 would be worth $1000 in 2000! That is remarkable in its horrible performance. In the modern (post 1978 de-reg era) airlines make $100-500 million for a few years, and then lose $1-3 Ba-Ba-BILLION at least once a decade. CEO's may have charisma, but lack sufficient skills or demonstrable positive results. They get paid, customers get cheap tickets and evar worsening service, the employees get the shaft. COME IN THE WATER IS GREAT!

* solutions/improvements to certain aspects of the industry -
total de-regulation (not semi-regulation as Carter created) or re-regulation

An industry-wide seniority list - starting over, perverted CH11 laws make this job a total luck based endeavor!

A positive resolution to "globalization" in aviation

The end to the war between the states that is Major pilots vs. regional pilots. New kids come in, undercutting and eroding the long term benefits at the majors that they want to get for themselves. (see MESA - which SUCKS btw!) Grey heads (at least their union leadership) shortsightedly places artificial restrictions on the freemarket operation of their own brand in a misguided effort to "protect what is theirs." Both sides shoot selves and each other (think Palestine)

I have been visting this web site for a while and have read alot of threads about being a pilot for the major airline, be it Southwest, Air Tran, and others. Ever since 9/11, how has your careers as pilots changed, or stayed the same? What means did you use to use to get the training to become a pilot? If there were a young person who wanted to pursue a career as an airline pilot, would you support or discourage their decision and why?

Good question(s). I think, if anything, this career is a total crap shoot. You have your ratings I assume so I hope you are networking. I have worked hard (still am) to help others and I know they are doing the same.

When I got laid off from my corporate flying job my inbox was stuffed with well wishes and leads. As a banker (in a former life) I never experienced that kind of fraternity.There are a lot of bitter posts on this site but don't take that to be the industry.

I would still recommend this career but I would explain the harsh reality that is aviation.

Cheers-

The piece of advice I wish I gotten was to not be so focused on getting to a major that you pass up other "stepping stone" jobs. Now that I'm at a major I find myself missing some of my past flying jobs that were much more rewarding.

Latest resources

Back