• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airboss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

Plane lands at airbase by mistake

A passenger jet which was destined for City of Derry Airport has landed at an Army base six miles away by mistake.

The Liverpool to Londonderry service, operated by Eirjet on behalf of Ryanair, landed at Ballykelly airstrip at 1440 BST.
Ryanair said in a statement it was due to an "error by the Eirjet pilot who mistakenly believed he was on a visual approach to City of Derry airport".
The 39 passengers were taken by coach from Ballykelly to the airport.
One of the passengers said everyone was completely surprised when they realised what had happened.
'Surreal'
He said: "The pilot apologised and said, 'We may have arrived at the wrong airport'.
"Everyone started laughing and thought it was a joke, then I saw for myself when I looked out and saw Army officers everywhere.

"It was just unbelievable, I think the Army officers were shocked themselves (as) they were taking photographs. It was surreal."
Another passenger said they had to wait on the plane while stairs were brought from the airport.
"Unfortunately they didn't let us go down the slide," he added.
In its statement, Ryanair said it had notified the civil aviation authorities in the UK and Ireland of the incident.
"We have also asked Eirjet, the operator of the aircraft to carry out a full investigation into this matter, as in over seven years of Ryanair flights into City of Derry airport, and over 20 years of Ryanair-operated flights, such a mistake has never occurred before," it added.
The aircraft is estimated to be a 200-seater jet. The scheduled return flight to Liverpool was cancelled.
The airstrip at Ballykelly is primarily used by Army helicopters and light aircraft. It was built for huge military planes, making it one of the longest on the island.
It is not yet clear how the plane will be removed from the Army base.
In a statement, Eirjet said it would carry out a full investigation. "Eirjet wish to stress that passenger safety was not compromised and the incident involved the aircraft landing at a runway which is exactly in line with the main runway at City of Derry Airport," it said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/northern_ireland/4857962.stm

Published: 2006/03/29 16:11:36 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Didn't a DC-10 do that a few years back somewhere in the US? Maybe I'm confusing stories but oh well...early Alzheimer's warning..

mcjohn said:
Um.............................:confused:

Yea, my sentiments exactly, didnt they jsut get done saying it was one of the longest runways on e the island?

It happens

John2375 said:
Didn't a DC-10 do that a few years back somewhere in the US? Maybe I'm confusing stories but oh well...early Alzheimer's warning..

Nope, you're not losing it.

It happened here in Salt Lake City late one night many, many years ago when an airliner landed "short" of 32L.

About 15 miles short...at SLC's airport #2 as it's called, which has a runway in almost perfect alignment.

They had to strip it clean to get it back off the 5000 runway.

They didn't need much fuel either.

Twenty plus years ago as a new, young pilot I wound up on a right base at Turlock, CA municipal after scud running out of bad weather in the foothills east of there....low on fuel.

Just as I was relaxing, and calling out a 5 mile right base, my (now) ex-wife asked why a B-52 was on a right base behind us.

I beat feet out of there and in those days...no harm, no foul.

Due to the close proximity of Castle Air Force Base...I'm sure I wasn't the only one who'd made that mistake.

I didn't ask how often it happened when refueling once I did find Turlock.

Last edited:
Probably that 24 year old wonder kid Airbus captain did it. That's what you get when those young kids are in control.

Bye bye --- Genital Leech:D :rolleyes: :D

Talked to a guy the other day that almost landed at BUR instead of VNY...or was it VNY instead of BUR......either way.

shtuff happens

-mini

Just something I noticed. Didn't they make the passengers on the NW flight wait on the plane for a few hours while they questioned people? I thought I read that.

At least these people got off and got on a bus in a relatively short amount of time (or as it appears).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back